Hen has become the third wheel!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eliz, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    One of my hens is the outcast of the flock! [​IMG] The two sex link are older than my rooster and one little hen (brother and sister). The roosters little sis gets pushed around by the two sex link and they will not even let her in their next box. So I got little sis her own nest box and that seems to be working out great.

But I am concerned because most of the time she is not with the rest of the flock. She is bigger than the sex links but younger and gets pushed around by them. It used to be her and the rooster together (getting beat up by the sex links) but he has become quite the stud. [​IMG]

Should I get one or two more hens to add to the flock so she won't be alone so much?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    If you want an excuse to add more hens, then okay, but please add in at least 2, quarantine, etc...You might be surprised by how things change as the chickens grow up and get used to each other. My BSL used to be the wimpy little underdog to my wyandotte, I'm just noticing today that she is now much bigger and a LOT more pushy, so things can change!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by