Hen has bumps all over her Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Robert G, Oct 19, 2018.

1. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I've done the same thing as @dawg53 on my coop. Made a big difference in my incidence of pox since they are most likely to get bitten while stationary (roosting). You will need to wipe or brush off the screens regularly, they do gather a lot of dust.

dawg53 likes this.
  2. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    Dawg! :eek::bowI didn’t even think to mention screening!:he
    I love the way you put flaps of screening on the pop door! I might have a little project to do for tomorrow if it’s not raining!

See Robert! THAT RIGHT THERE is why this community is so great!
    The collaborative camaraderie. :celebrate

dawg53 likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    You're right especially if there's a fan mounted at the screen. I have fans in all 3 coops located at the vents blowing air out. The fans blow quite abit of dust on the screens and require monthly cleaning. A wisk type brush or vacuum takes care of it in no time. I prefer to vacuum. I vacuum the fans once every 6 months.

coach723 and staceyj like this.
  4. Robert G

Robert G Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    South Texas
    So I assume it will get worse before better. They do get to free range all day and today was the first day the sun showed up. But I've noticed other hens and roos starting to have it too. So the first hen that got should get better in a couple of weeks? She looks bad now but is eating and drinking water.

5. Robert G

Robert G Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    South Texas
    Just a quick update. The entire flock has gone through it and now all is well again. It was hard seeing one by one go through it but glad it's over!

dawg53, coach723 and Eggcessive like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: