Hen has bumps all over her Comb

I've done the same thing as @dawg53 on my coop. Made a big difference in my incidence of pox since they are most likely to get bitten while stationary (roosting). You will need to wipe or brush off the screens regularly, they do gather a lot of dust.

You can install screen on the vents to your coop as well as the chicken entrance. The screen will deter mosquitos, flies and gnats from getting inside the coop day or night. See pics below.
I've dealt with fowl pox. Depending on the severity of the strain, best case of it clearing up is about 4-6 weeks, worse case is a couple of months.
Once it passes through your flock, your birds will be immune to that particular strain thereafter. Eggs are safe to eat. Here's a couple of outside and inside pics with screen at the entrance. I used a razor blade to slice "strips" so that the chickens can pass through it.
All the vents are covered with hardware cloth and screen. All 3 of my coops have screen on the vents and at the entrance.
View attachment 1566540 View attachment 1566550 View attachment 1566545 View attachment 1566552
Dawg! :eek::bowI didn’t even think to mention screening!:he
I love the way you put flaps of screening on the pop door! I might have a little project to do for tomorrow if it’s not raining!

See Robert! THAT RIGHT THERE is why this community is so great!
The collaborative camaraderie. :celebrate

I've done the same thing as @dawg53 on my coop. Made a big difference in my incidence of pox since they are most likely to get bitten while stationary (roosting). You will need to wipe or brush off the screens regularly, they do gather a lot of dust.
You're right especially if there's a fan mounted at the screen. I have fans in all 3 coops located at the vents blowing air out. The fans blow quite abit of dust on the screens and require monthly cleaning. A wisk type brush or vacuum takes care of it in no time. I prefer to vacuum. I vacuum the fans once every 6 months.

So I assume it will get worse before better. They do get to free range all day and today was the first day the sun showed up. But I've noticed other hens and roos starting to have it too. So the first hen that got should get better in a couple of weeks? She looks bad now but is eating and drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom