Hen has crooked neck. Injury / illness?

Muts & co

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 27, 2018
Three days ago I found my bantam leghorn standing at the side of the burn with her neck fully tilted, head upside down. I thought she was attacked but no skin was broken. She may have flown away from our frisky drake and landed awkwardly. I took her in, let her settle. I tried to get her to drink with drops from a syringe (did not want the water to go the wrong way). She took a little. I rubbed some ibuprofen gel on her neck for pain relief. She was panting. The next day I put her in a hen house where she could see her sisters. She managed to eat some melon, mealworms and peas in a layer of water. Her comb is hanging in the water when she eats and drinks but she is very keen to eat and drink. Saturday and Sunday she layed an egg! During the day she eats mixed corn, peas and some mealworms. She seems happy and healthy, chatting away at me. I let her stretch her legs in the big run and she pecks away at food happily, only her chin is facing upwards. I will try to post a photo. Hope you can help. She does not appear in much pain. She has a heavy comb that is not helping in getting her head upright. Usually her comb hangs the other way. Sorry for the long post.

It looks strange but as you see she is not pale or listless. Any ideas?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20190812-184552.jpg
    VideoCapture_20190812-184552.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 10
  • VideoCapture_20190812-184243.jpg
    VideoCapture_20190812-184243.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 12
Poor thing!

It looks like she has Wry Neck which is a neurological symptom - some common causes are vitamin deficiency, head trauma and disease like Marek's.

I would offer her supportive care - give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet human B-Complex daily along with some scrambled egg (for selenium). If she's struggling to eat, you can see if holding/helping her as shown in the video below makes it easier for her.

Let us know how she's doing.

Thank you so much! I will buy vit A and selenium this morning (am in the UK). She very keen to eat and drink and is very able to do so. I will put her in a separate run where she can see her sisters but is safe. Hopefully this will do the trick. Is she in pain?
I will let you know how she is doing.

Thank you so much! I will buy vit A and selenium this morning (am in the UK). She very keen to eat and drink and is very able to do so. I will put her in a separate run where she can see her sisters but is safe. Hopefully this will do the trick. Is she in pain?
I will let you know how she is doing.
It's vitamin E, you don't need to get Selenium - there's plenty found in Egg.
Try to get some B-Complex too - this will be helpful.

It's good that she can eat/drink on her own, if she's getting along and the others aren't bothering her, I would leave her with her sisters - less stressful on her than separating out.

I have no idea if this condition is painful or not. Hopefully you will start to see some improvement. She's a pretty girl!

Sorry typo. I got vitamin E and B complex. She had both today.
Yesterday I let her in the big run for a while but as soon as the bossy hen saw her she was on top pecking the sick hen. The run she is in is a smaller run inside the big run so she can see everyone. She is timesaring with our ducklings (raised by a hen) who sleep in the night coop inside the small run (long story). Thank you for your help.
Timmy the hen is much happier outside than inside.

Sorry typo. I got vitamin E and B complex. She had both today.
Yesterday I let her in the big run for a while but as soon as the bossy hen saw her she was on top pecking the sick hen. The run she is in is a smaller run inside the big run so she can see everyone. She is timesaring with our ducklings (raised by a hen) who sleep in the night coop inside the small run (long story). Thank you for your help.
Timmy the hen is much happier outside than inside.
Sounds good!
Sometimes if one is not well, the other hens do make their life miserable, so I'm glad you have another space she can be in and still see the others!
I agree, they are usually much happier outside than inside.

I hope she gets better soon.

The vit e is working but slowly. She is a bit picky with food so it is hard to give her the full dose. Will try to put it on mealworms, I am sure she can't resist! Her head is halfway up now, upwards and onwards .
Thank you so much for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom