Hen has diarrhea and a bulgy bottom [Update - passed away]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Prairie Orca, May 15, 2011.

1. Prairie Orca

Prairie Orca Out Of The Brooder

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Rhode Island Red cross, at least two years old (purchased last year, seller said she and the other hen were a year old), weight unknown.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    I forget exactly when it started, but one day I walked into the coop to find that Quiet Hen was sitting at the far end of the coop where she and Yappy sleep at night. She was the only one inside. She hasn't joined the others in going outside in the past few days. A few days ago she did not lay an egg, but all other days she is laying perfectly normal eggs. Every day I have been checking her droppings to find any abnormalities. It wasn't until yesterday did I notice she was starting to have green diarrhea. Today there was more green diarrhea, and her feathers around her bottom are caked together by some of the diarrhea - the diarrhea around there is yellow-ish. Today I observed her going outside the coop, but not going far. Her head was not doing the usual chicken-bob as she walked forward. She was moving very slowly. I picked her up and she flailed a bit, but then she gave up. That was when I noticed her bottom at her back end felt bloated and squishy.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Since the 11th I believe.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Some broken/missing feathers from rooster.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Don't know.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Have not seen her eat or drink in the past few days.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Green diarrhea.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None. Isolated her in the kennel inside the coop. Will be giving her some water mixed with electrolytes and vitamins, and some scrambled eggs.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Just myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    If required, I will try to take a picture. No guarantees.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Large 7x20+ coop (probably wrong; keep forgetting the exact measurements) with straw. One end was cut off recently to accommodate the chicks (they have shavings). Adult chickens are free range and have access to entire 8-acre property.

EDIT: I gave her the scrambled eggs, and she ate it so fast it was as though she was starving.

EDIT2: To know more, read post #12 and on.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. flowerhippie

flowerhippie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I guess I am on a new mission, I am now creating a awareness to every one who has poultry. Most illness begin at the feed store. When some folks go to the feed store they do not change there shoes. And we have some that have bad husbandry, the poor little chickens are not given good hygiene practices. SO EVERYONE PLEASE DO NOT WEAR YOUR BARN YARD SHOES TO THE FEED STORE ! Whenever another farm has illness we are tracking it home to our beloved flock ! I hope your little hen pulls threw.

3. Prairie Orca

Prairie Orca Out Of The Brooder

Thanks.

I do use different footwear between the coop and the feed store. I have my rubber boots for the property (mostly coop), and my shoes which I use for everywhere else.

4. flowerhippie

May 13, 2011
    I know that we usually already know this but it's like a pet peeve because we work so hard at caring for our flock, and it only takes one microbe to mess it all up for us. I hope your flock will be good to go before no time.

5. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Wow Flowerhippie your response didn't address the problem at all!
    Prairie Orca I would repost the answers you provided so that one of the more experienced people in this forum can actually help you.
    I am having the same problems and I know it has NOTHING to do with what shoes I wear!!
    I will follow your post and maybe both actually get some help!!

6. flowerhippie

May 13, 2011
    This may have not helped immediately but it is a awareness because we do not know what our illness is and if you think about preventive measures, There are so many thing we can trouble shoot. good flock maintenance begins with us and it is just like a common practice that we should all consider from now on . My family has had a local feed store for more than 60 years where I am and our whole community will tell one another these practices. I am willing to put myself out there for every one to think about. When we go to the grocery store do we go ill and dirty with germs ? or will we prevent this with a self awareness ? There are many questions to ask our selves when or flock is ill, what type of water do we have ? well or full of chlorine ? I am very organic and I have dedicated 20 years or more to learning the ways to prevent illness this is only because I care about disease being spread around to others. Need I say more ?

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I know I'm new to this but could she have a egg stuck? Maybe a malformed one that is trying to 'reabsorb'? [​IMG] I'm going to follow this topic, too, because I'd like to hear what experienced folks say.

8. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Is she egg bound? She might have gotten a hold of a pesticide, do you spray?

9. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    Sorry I dont know but cool I live in winnipeg too [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  10. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This may be internal laying, I am sorry to say. I hope I am wrong. It sounds like there is fluid in her abdomen and this can have several causes.

Actually there are some diseases that might cause these problems such as fowl cholera, and the separate shoes (and clothes) for the feed store might apply.

Here are some threads from the FAQ page on eggbound, and some links on diseases and internal laying.

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79443&p=1

I hope you can get thid figured out and she will be all right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by