Hen has eye problem

cassey40

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
beaufort, sc
My hen's eye has been attack by her fellow hens, the eye is closed shut so i dont know if the eye is still their or not, what can i do for the eye and do i need to give her some antibiotics. I do have in a differant place than the rest now so she can heal. Please help me with my beautiful BO girl. I'm new to all this and any help will be grateful

I gently washed mine with saline on a cotton ball to get the crusty stuff off, then applied antibiotic ointment. As previously stated, use plain neosporin, not something with an added ingredient for pain as this will be harmful.
Hope she's doing better.

You can use eye wash for people you get at the drug store. Neosporin works, I guess, but we use terramycin eye gel you can get at the feed store. Wash and treat the eye with the gel or ointment twice a day. Probably the eye will be ok, and you shouldn't need oral antibiotics, but that's really up to you, you can add terramycin to her water if you want to, or if it doesn't look like the eye is clearing up.. If you do that though, don't eat her eggs for two or three weeks after she finishes the antibiotics. We had this happen to a roo , he was attacked by other roosters and he did eventually lose sight in the eye, after they had pecked it, it looked like it cleared up after we finished treating it but he went blind in it later. He can still see fine out of the other one, and he seems happy.

Back
Top Bottom