Hen has foam in corner of her eyes often, coming from a bump. HELP

44Wolves

Here is Your New Title
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
1) What type of bird , age and weight.- EE, 2 years and ???
2) What is the behavior, exactly.- Normal, but she pecks a another hen every now and then.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?- a Looooooong time, like, 8 months
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?- No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.- Nope!
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.- The hen she pecks now used to attack her alot.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.- Crumbles, cracked corn, grit, oyster shells, and water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.- Normal, but a little oily.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?- Wipe foam out of eye, LOL
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?- It depends, probably ourselves and meds.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.-Look below
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- Premium Pine Shavings from TSC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
35494_amandas_sinus_001.jpg

35494_amandas_sinus_002.jpg

35494_amandas_sinus_003.jpg

35494_amandas_sinus_004.jpg

35494_amandas_sinus_005.jpg

35494_amandas_sinus_006.jpg

What kind of bird? Looks like a mixed breed to me. Could be a number of things.

I had a young rooster that had "foam" around his eye. I bought some VetRX, followed the instructions on the bottle. It cleared up. None of the other birds ever had the problem and I haven't had the problem since.

Perhaps someone else out there has a better idea of what the problem is. I don't know if it was some kind of sinus problem causing it, but was sure happy it cleared up without causing problems to other chickens.

Quote:
No, she breathes fine, and no other of my girls have it
smile.png

Quote:
I'm going to look for it the next time I go to TSC, hopefully I'll see it, and she's an EE, for sure
smile.png

Gee, Michael, not sure then. If no one else has any symptoms, could be a simple bacterial thing in her eye.

My Buff Brahma and others had a fungal infection this summer-thank goodness, it was brought on by prolonged environmental hot/humid conditions, not contagious, but that Brahma in particular has always had irritable sinuses, sneezed all the time for years, no discharges, just dry sneezing. She developed a bacterial sinusitis secondary to the fungal infection from which she had just recovered (consulted the state vet, so yes, we're positive what it was). He suggested Tylan injected in the breast muscle for 2-3 days to fix her up and it worked beautifully. If it was mycoplasmosis, we would have euthanized her since that is contagious and makes birds carriers. Hopefully, it's just a sinus irritation with your hen since no one else is symptomatic. If you have some eye drops for people like Visine or contact lens saline solution, you could put a drop in each eye and see if it helps her or do the Tylan for a few days.

Quote:
Thanks so much Cynthia! I'll try the eye drops way first
smile.png

I looked at the bump again and it does look like her sinus is affected so do the drops, for sure, but you may want to check into getting some Tylan for her, in case she has an infection going on in the sinus cavity, or some Oxine which you can make a solution from and use in a cool mist vaporizer for her to breathe in a few times a day for several days. I think the Tylan would be good because of that bump I see. If you're afraid of injections, you can get Tylan powder.

Sometimes, they can get a piece of scratch up in the nares and it sticks and irritates the sinus cavity so may not be anything serious. You can also get a saline solution and flush the nares by holding her over the sink and squirting saline up one nasal opening so it runs out the other one and out her mouth. It may help flush some irritation out of there, too.

Back
Top Bottom