Hen has gone blind

Ok we're about a week into this now. I force fed her some boost balls yesterday which are made with her usual ground up pellets and some oats and a little bit of water and just drop them into her beak. She also had a small amount of water. She's very happy to sit on my knee and just hunkers down obviously enjoying the warmth; she appears to be breathing quite deeply, like her whole body is going up and down. I've brought her into the house as last time I went to check her comb looked a little bit purplish and it has since returned to its normal rosy red colour. Her vent looks fine though she does have quite a bit of poo stuck to her bottom, it is yellow and white and sometimes has some very bright green in it.
All she has had today is some water and she has picked a little bit at her normal pellets.
the Emeraid has come today however I feel as though this looks very complicated to administer.
She is such a big fine hen. I am really wondering now whether I am doing the best thing by her in continuing her life.
16011291163381587071275271608470.jpg

I have an old hen who went blind. I first noticed cause she was bobbing her head, and when I examined her I realized she could not see, and I think was trying to acclimate herself. I keep a close eye on her but she does well in her own. I give her special treats but she finds the food well in her own. (She stands in the food dish and eats) and seems to be adjusting well. My first thought was to put her down too, but after a couple days she got used to her new situation. Everyone is different but I would recommend giving her some time to acclimate. He may do ok. And if not, then look into the alternative. Good luck!

Ascites is usually fatal. It comes from heart failure, liver disease, and is frequently seen with reproductive infections and cancers. Fluid can be removed with a sterile needle inserted into the abdomen to withdraw some fluid periodically by a vet or yourself. That can make them more comfortable for a time, but it is not without risk of infection or death. I recently did this a couple of times for my 9 year old bantam hen, and she lived an extra 3 weeks. Here is a YouTube video about removing fluid:

I have an old hen who went blind. I first noticed cause she was bobbing her head, and when I examined her I realized she could not see, and I think was trying to acclimate herself. I keep a close eye on her but she does well in her own. I give her special treats but she finds the food well in her own. (She stands in the food dish and eats) and seems to be adjusting well. My first thought was to put her down too, but after a couple days she got used to her new situation. Everyone is different but I would recommend giving her some time to acclimate. He may do ok. And if not, then look into the alternative. Good luck!
Thanks for this, JayKay98. I'm so pleased to hear your old girl is doing ok - long may she continue. I just think for Racquel there is a bit more going on now now. When I shake the food next to her she will have a few pecks and she'll eat but then she just turns her head and she may if I continue shaking she may come back in 10-15 seconds and have another couple of pecks, but is basically eating and drinking very little. On top of this, she is just sitting down all of the time now. When I first noticed last weekend that she didn't seem to be seeing she was still happy to have a little wander around the garden, but now she won't voluntarily leave the house 🙁

After spending the weekend in the house with us and literally not moving off an old plants tray filled with straw, I decided yesterday that the time had come for Racquel. She had eaten very little apart from a few berries and sunflower seeds, and was very swollen. Ascites seemed to be the most likely symptom of something greater going on. I took her to the vets and she had a peaceful end. She's been a great hen with a lovely personality and will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom