Hen has gone quiet all of a sudden.

Heartsizedfarm think I might just do that I'm home all day tomos might bring her in the office room with me n see how she goes!

Tommorrow then, I'll bring her indoors, give her a nice warm bath let her relax and soothe in it, then as I dry her give her a massage of the vent area. I'll check to see if there's an egg there first though.

I'll isolate her too, give her, her own space, with warmth, food, water and oyster shells crushed.

See how she gets on.

I respect the care both of you show. It's challenging to help critters that won't tell us what's wrong. But you observe your animals, notice one who's "not herself", sympathize, ask for advice, and take the trouble to offer extra care. Here's hoping.

Gear ill do the same as u tomos, I'll keep u informed on what happens.hope ur girls gets better! Thanks to everyone for their advice! X

LICE!

I never saw them before, they were barely active in her Vent area, but after a thorough inspection when I brought her in for a bath, under her wing and on her back, the little critters were active.

I mite powdered her, the other 2 hens and their bedding, along with their dust bath.
I'll do it again in a few days or a week, and get the next batch of hatchlings.

After the action taken, I put her back into the run and she was active and foraging, a good sign although soon - still it's nice to see her not so lethargic and depressed looking.

Over the next few days I hope to see her back to full health and a chirpy young hen again,

Daddy was very worried for her.

Last edited:
She's no longer active and returned to her listless state - Obviously the powder wont kill them this quick, but I'm hoping over the next few days she picks up.

Oh no but at least u know what's up! Brought my hen in but havnt had chance to fully examine her yet! How do u bath a chicken? X

Here she is, the beautiful girl...

Bright red comb and wattles, eye are colour too.

Healthy looking legs...

Slightly lobsided tail...

Later on today, I'll get some pictures of her vent area when I have someone there to hold her, it's a bit difficult to hold her and take pictures at the same time...

My girl has died, in happy I brought her in when I did so I know she was quite, peaceful comfy n warm when she went! I've examined her vent and under wings both clean and no signs of any creepy crawels! :-(

Back
Top Bottom