Hen has growth blocking nostrils (?)-PICS POSTED-MORE pics #15 and #16

Hi Pete, thanks for asking!.

I did 5 days of Flagyl. She's the same, may be a slight bit better, maybe. I wish I could get the stuff out of her nostrils, but it seems painful. But she's still a food hog. So, I'll keep you up to date.

Karen

Good to hear she's holding up. I should thank you, too. I've always paid close attention to my birds, but mostly by watching their behavior closely over time (gait, laying, breathing etc.) I've now started to pick them up and give them a thorough inspection on a regular basis, even if they seem to be doing OK. I know I should have been doing that all along, but now do so regularly as a result of you sharing the news about your bird.

Pete, you don't have to thank me! I 've always spent alot of time back with the chickens, learning mostly, and relaxing coffee breaks! If I need to give them a go-over, I do it at night when they've roosted.

It's all about learning, right?

Karen- It has been a while. I hope that your patient has improved. How is she?

Hi Chemguy. Thanks for asking. After topicals and a fungal treatment, it's still there. She hasn't changed, still gasps during naps, otherwise breathes okay, no change. She walks slow, comb is red, and eats normal, and comes for treats. So, I've just been watching her. At least when she's awake scratching around the yard, she still breathes with her mouth closed. So, not any worse or better.

Karen

I got brave last night and dug a fingernail in and popped one blockage out! Seems like it may have been caused by food, maybe backing up into her nares from the inside. I am still sporadically digging, it's yellow and crumbly and smells. I'm not sure about the other nostril, I picked at it and it bled. I wonder why it had blood on it?. It looks like the same thing.

Hi,

I know because I'm new, I'm not experienced and I know my advice or ideas aren't as well accepted as others...but...

Are you sure it's not something as simple as Vitamin A deficiency?

Symptoms:

Crusty build-up in nostrils
Build-up of white cheesy material
Mimics respiratory illness

Treatment: Supplement feed with additional vitamin A

(it seems to me it couldn't possibly hurt to try) :(

I hope your chickabee is healthy soon!

Cluckycharms, just because you're new doesn't mean that you won't have good ideas or answers. I'll run out and put vitamins in their water.

I read that the blocked nares usually has an underlying cause that needs to be treated. I'll try that.

Well, I believe it turns out to be impacted feed. I got one nostril clean. The problem is she turns blue when I mess with her. So I haven't been working on it. I just keep an eye on her and make sure she's breathing thru her nose.

Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom