Hen has intestines exposed and hanging out

abalzer

Hatching
Aug 25, 2016
Help! I found my hen with her back end insides hanging out this morning. Could abother chicken or duck have done this? What do I do??

Hi,
I don't think I can answer your question but was wondering if you can see where the inside parts are coming from? From the vent? Is there another injury? Is she old enough to be laying? If so, when did she lay her last egg? Does she seem to be in stress? Any other symptoms?
First, you should isolate her from the rest of the flock into a "hospital area". The others will pick at her injured area so keeping her separated is the first thing you should do. If you don't have an area to use as a hospital, a box will be fine.
Hopefully, after you answer some of my questions, others will respond with helpful information. I'm fairly new and mostly everyone else on here has more experience and provides excellent advice and help. Good luck!

Help! I found my hen with her back end insides hanging out this morning. Could abother chicken or duck have done this? What do I do??
It looks like she has a prolapse.

Take her in, try to clean her up a bit, give her a good soak in a bath with epsom salts. Gently clean off the poop and apply some hemorrhoid cream or honey and see if you can push it back in. Keep here isolated for about a day to make sure it doesn't come back out.
Make sure she is drinking well -you can add some vitamins to the water is you have them, offer her normal feed and some extra calcium like a crushed up Tums.

Here is more detailed info step by step:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Back
Top Bottom