Hen has large hard lump between eye & nostril???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roamingchick, Sep 14, 2014.

1. roamingchick

roamingchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2014
    Steuben County NY
    Suggestions anyone? A friend asked me to take her birds as she is moving and can't take them. Of course I won't put them in with birds until I can be sure they are not carrying anything such as illness, lice or mites. When looking them over I noticed one hen, a salmon favorelle, had watery eye, looking closer I find she has a large lump/growth kind on under her eye yet between her eye and nostril. She acts as if it effects her breathing as well because she sits with her mouth open trying to breath. No discharge from nostril and no foul odors. What could this be and how do I go about treating it??

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Can you post a pic?

3. nfwc1964

nfwc1964 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Danville, NH
    In humans it would be a blocked tear-duct. I'm not sure if chickens have tear-ducts?
    Treatment for humans - very hot compresses, then massage area, followed by anti-biotic eye drops.

Best I can do :)

4. Shannon O

Shannon O New Egg

Sep 14, 2014
    England
    I have a bantam with the exact same problem; she now has a thin layer of white/grey in the lower part of her eye on same side as the lump...please offer suggestions, she‘s my best little friend :(

5. roamingchick

May 15, 2014
    Steuben County NY
    I am mobile android no computer acess so sadly I can't post pictutes.

6. roamingchick

May 15, 2014
    Steuben County NY
    Today I will do compresses and eye ointment. I normal use vineager in water as well probotics like yougurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by