Hen has large portion of skin missing/injured...

I have now disinfected and wrapped the wound, and am checking it every day. I separated the roosters from her for extra measure. Thank you all so much for the advice!

IMG_20191122_150455.jpg

After two days of treatment, the injury looks like this. I think it might be a bit larger? But I've been wrapping it, so I'm not sure. It is bleeding less, but it's a little white around one edge. Anything I should be concerned about?

It looks healthy, and the white is her skin color. It may appear larger than your first picture because we can see all of the wound. I would keep on doing what you are doing. You can leave it open to the air, as long as she is separated. But you may also put a light tshirt over her. Thanks for the update.

You are doing great, to me, it looks like the edges are closing in, not getting larger. Are you doing wet to dry dressings? Keep it covered. I'm an experienced ICU nurse with >25 yrs, we always keep open wounds covered due to infection prevention. The wound looks good to me, I have no concerns.

I am a former ICU and PICU nurse, and I agree that in people, we usually keep wounds covered, but in chickens, most seem to keep them uncovered, unless the chicken is picking at the wound. Telfa or nonadherent pads, would be good to use if needed, and cover with a light bandage. since they are easily removed. Wet to dry dressings is something that I used to do years ago for wound debridement, but after reading some in recent years, some feel that they may damage the tissue when pulled off, since healthy tissue can come off with the dead tissue. We could probably discuss wound care all day long, and it probably doesn’t matter which way the OP wants to do it. I would just coat the wound with the plain antibiotic ointment, until it heals some.

I had a black Easter egger she was so pretty and had that same thing. All the roosters loved her, and so I believed that all the roosters would not leave her alone. You could blue kote on her back and have her separated for a week or two and she should be better by then.

He actually doesn't have spurs yet. I can see them growing in, but nothing sharp. He mounts her pretty aggressively, and then our other rooster holds her down and bites her. We're selling one too see if it helps.
Your rooster’s nails may be pulling all the feathers out, then sence there’s no feathers there he’s just beating her up

@Eggcessive , you and I have a lot of experience in common. Besides ICU and PACU , I have experience in wound vacs, Wound/Ostomy nursing, I haven't had any chicken injuries so maybe my advice is not current or pertinent to chickens...

We have been using wet to dry wraps, and now we're going to try blue kote. Wrapping her is difficult, and because the wound is large and we have to wrap around her whole body, it's getting expensive. She also only allows me to wrap her, my mom has tried but she freaks out every time. I'll post updates to make sure it's working and that it's staying clean and uninfected!

I would wash the area with warm water then apply your choice of neosporin without pain reliever or a triple antibiotic cream, hibiclens,betadine 2 times a day. I have never seen my roosters do that kind of damage , not saying it's not possible though, You can isolate rooster and see if it improves and to give your girls a rest, it could be something like round worm or fungal too or she got caught on something. If the other hens are picking at it you can apply blue kote to stop them from pecking at it.

Back
Top Bottom