Hen has left 2 week old chicks to sleep with other hens.

Ameemo38930

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
Greenwood Ms.
I have my hen and her 2 week old chicks in a pen by themselves. She hopped the fence to sleep in house with other chickens. Should I be worried? Why is she leaving them?

No, you shouldn't. I had a baby bantam escape from a cage and get into the coop with some older chicks. Boy, was I surprised. He's well today. It simply means she wants to be around the other chickens. I'll say, try again and see if she'll stay, if not let her and the chicks out with the others.

I have my hen and her 2 week old chicks in a pen by themselves. She hopped the fence to sleep in house with other chickens. Should I be worried? Why is she leaving them?
They do not need to be separated from the other chickens. They want to be together, as they would be in nature. If you let the little family out to join the rest, the broody will continue to provide exactly the right conditions the chicks need, and there will be no integration issues. The longer you keep them separate, the more you will need to manage integration of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom