Hen has limp neck and lethargic

Okay, I will read up on this.
Never culled a chicken before- is there a kind way to do this?
I will give her some time before we do that though. Giving her lots of vitamins and water. She ate some today but not very much.
If you lift her head and support her neck can she eat/drink on her own?

You may need to syringe or tube fluids into her, but you'll have to manipulate her neck up a bit to do that.

As for putting down a hen that's in misery, I use the broomstick method (cervical dislocation). Others will hopefully chime in with their thoughts.

You may need to syringe or tube fluids into her, but you'll have to manipulate her neck up a bit to do that.

As for putting down a hen that's in misery, I use the broomstick method (cervical dislocation). Others will hopefully chime in with their thoughts.
Yes, if I lift her head she seems to have some movement. I will read up on culling- never done it before. I don’t want her to suffer but will try a few more days to see if she is improving. So far she is eating small amounts.
Very small like a tablespoon of eggs. And I mixed vitamin B and E in a syringe and gave that to her.

She does drink on her own in downward position with priding. Should I be lifting her head for this? I do put her beak into the food. And she had some interest but not like a normal healthy chicken.
So hard when the animals are sick- I have an injured dog too- been carrying the 60 pound dog up and down steps. Both knees are bad and she doesn’t qualify for surgery. Ahh we are blessed to have them though. Thanks for the help!

Okay so raise her head when giving liquids or food. Got it.
I have a syringe filled w water and liquid vitamin B. She drank a small amount - still no poop. 48 hours. When lifting her head I hear her breathing is more exaggerated for a few breaths. Cat came in and meowed and the chicken made a sound like “bawk”.
So how often do you feed them? I was trying for 4 times a day morning, late morning, noon, and evening.

Make sure that you include human vitamin E 400 IU daily with her B vitamins and egg. It can take some time for wry neck symptoms to go away. I would treat for at least 2 weeks unless you decide to put her down. A vet might even prescribe prednisolone or another anti-inflammatory medicine. Here is a video of feeding a chicken with wry neck:

Make sure that you include human vitamin E 400 IU daily with her B vitamins and egg. It can take some time for wry neck symptoms to go away. I would treat for at least 2 weeks unless you decide to put her down. A vet might even prescribe prednisolone or another anti-inflammatory medicine. Here is a video of feeding a chicken with wry neck:
Oh that hen has life in her mine is so weak it barely eats! Thanks for the video

How is she doing?
BF8B342A-F5B1-4409-ADAB-05C6ED68A7A0.jpeg
FDA498C6-D0C7-4940-8FB8-8780AD56F607.jpeg

I was trying to see if she would eat- she won’t eat. She did stand outside and tried to pull her head up- she walked backwards and then she collapsed inside the crate. It probably is time- kinda hard being the first time. I watched two videos on cervical dislocation seems the most humane. Give credit to the farmers who do this -

Back
Top Bottom