hen has puffed and watery eye please help me out!!!!

Jan 3, 2020
Hi everyone I have a 1 1/2-year-old Rhode island red hen who recently got an eye infection?

a few days ago i found her sleeping on the bottom of the nesting boxes near the poop. she did this for three nights and whenever i went to lock them up for the night i would just put her up on the roosts. three days ago i found her sitting all alone with her eye shut. her face was puffing and she had bubbles coming out. since then ive relocated her to a indoor cage to care for her. she has gotten a little better and moves around more. a few problems i see are the fact that she wont drink water by herself. she will eat anything i give her by herself except for the water. today instead of bubbles she has a watery discharge and her eye looks red inside. i cant go to the vet because it cost to much so does anyone have any ideas? she is the only one in the flock who has the eye infection.

can i giver her any human medicine?
i have been flushing her eye with an eyeclear liquid and have been applying Neosporin around her eye. today i have started giving her cabbage and garlic as well as applecider.
the first photo is from three days ago
the second is from today

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 1.29.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 1.29.49 PM.png
    488.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-1733.jpg
    IMG-1733.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi everyone I have a 1 1/2-year-old Rhode island red hen who recently got an eye infection?

a few days ago i found her sleeping on the bottom of the nesting boxes near the poop. she did this for three nights and whenever i went to lock them up for the night i would just put her up on the roosts. three days ago i found her sitting all alone with her eye shut. her face was puffing and she had bubbles coming out. since then ive relocated her to a indoor cage to care for her. she has gotten a little better and moves around more. a few problems i see are the fact that she wont drink water by herself. she will eat anything i give her by herself except for the water. today instead of bubbles she has a watery discharge and her eye looks red inside. i cant go to the vet because it cost to much so does anyone have any ideas? she is the only one in the flock who has the eye infection.

can i giver her any human medicine?
i have been flushing her eye with an eyeclear liquid and have been applying Neosporin around her eye. today i have started giving her cabbage and garlic as well as applecider. but i think i need more then that.

this is a photo from three days ago
I would clean her eyes with saline and apply a dab of plain antibiotic ointment, such as plain Neosporin or Terramycin if you can't find it. Bubbles in eyes sometimes can be a sign of a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG.)

Back
Top Bottom