Hen has shriveled gray comb, not laying

cobchickens

Hatching
Jul 2, 2016
I have an arucana hen that has never laid. 1 of her two age mates also does not lay. The third lays daily. I recently noticed her comb is shrivels and grayish. She is eating well, and has normal energy. I thought she may be molting, but others have said it doesn't look that way.... any ideas?

Welcome to BYC. How old are these hens? What type of feed do they eat? Have rhey ever had cocci or any other problems? Is it winter where you live? It may be that she is just taking a break for winter, or that she may suffer from something internally that is affecting her laying. I have a couple of faverolles hens who have never laid more than a handful of eggs, but have had others who laid regularly. If it is winter there, you might try to put a light in your coop in the early morning, so they get 12 hours of daylight, which many hens require to lay in winter.

Thank you, the hens are about a year old. They have never had cocci that I am aware of. We feed them an organic Nature Smart, always have crushed oyster shells on hand. We add ACV to their water regularily. They also free range throughout the day. It is winter here, but rarely gets below freezing- averages about 45 degrees. We also keep a heat lamp on them at night, and we clean the coop often.

Back
Top Bottom