Hen has stopped laying, stopped squatting too?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chotii, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an 8 month old Gold Sex Link hen who has, until now, been the most reliable of all my hens, laying an egg every single day. Until a week ago.

A week ago, there was torrential, and I mean an inch or two an hour, rain. And two of three hens stopped laying for a couple of days, due to stress or protest or I don't know what. However, they are in fully-covered quarters, with full protection from the rain, and my property is on a hill so there was no flooding.

The GSL has not begun laying again. Nor will she squat for me, though the other two will. I can't tell what's up with her.

Is it typical of a hen to stop squatting and stop laying, under weather-related stress? She isn't moulting. The feathers under her vent seem a bit messy with poop, but it's an ordinary color, not yellow or green or worrisome.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Hens lay fewer eggs as the amount of daylight decreases. With winter coming on there is likely to be a drop in production. This time of year some folks are starting to use supplemental lighting to keep production at its peak.

3. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    I have 12 hens mostly RIR's and all of them stopped laying about a month ago. Mine always "protest" when it rains and stop laying for a day or so. This is the first time of owning chickens for several years that they all have stopped laying at once for any length of time. I have some year old hens and some two year old ones so age shouldn't be a problem. They aren't even getting in the laying boxes to make nest. I first thought something was stealing eggs since I was only finding a couple a day but like I said they are now not laying at all and haven't for about a month.

Hope you figure out what is wrong with yours! Hoping to find something that will kick start mine into laying again soon.

4. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

I do provide extra light in the coop - several hours' worth, although I've inadvertently let the amount of light taper off as the days have gotten shorter. Still...they must've been getting about 14 hours.

But, fair enough. It could have been the rain, or the daylight, or anything else, who knows? I'll give her a bit of extra treat (and more light in the coop at night) and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by