Hen Has Tumor On Back.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Americanaluver, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Americanaluver

Americanaluver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    NH
    Yesterday, I was checking all my chickens for head lice, (recently I had an war with a head lice infestation) Well, no one but this hen had some, I went straight to dusting her, and noticed a lump on her back, I was poking it and trying to figure out what it was, it moves freely, not attached to anything, but is hard, and white. At first I thought it was a bee sting, (there is a big hornet nest 3 trees away from the coop) So I thought, I could just treat it with some anti infection cream, and just take the needle out. Well, I took her into the bathroom to clean it, get the needle out, etc. I looked at it closer, and noticed it was bigger then a bee sting, and wasn't pink. I was puzzled about it because I didn't know chickens could get tumors, so I thought maybe something got her, and she got a puss bubble, or something. So I looked up what it looked like in Google, and it came up with all these pictures of chickens with tumors! So, I'm guessing its a tumor, am I right? [​IMG] Well, I don't want to go to a vet, and spend 100 or more dollars on a chicken, but, I also don't want to make her suffer, can I cut it out myself? Its free swimming like I said, and there is only one, I felt her hole body, and squished in some spots to check closer to her liver, stomach, etc, and none. So luckly this is the only one. [​IMG] I was thinking, I could cut a little line above the tumor, and lightly pull it out, then sow the line up with thread, and put some cast on it, and keep her inside for a bit.
    Also, sorry, but, no camera, so no pictures. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red blob is just where the tumor is. She is an 2 1/2 year old Buff Orpington, if it helps.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i have no idea but hoping someone will see this and give you an answer.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well, it looks like it is above her lungs and ovaries. It could be a tumor, but I don't have any experience with such to tell you for sure.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be an ingrown feather follicle. It's not her oil gland, right?

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Do what feels right in your gut. You know what will happen if you are successful and what will happen if you fail. Think it over and be comfortable with your decision. Only you can decide what to do.

Could it be what speckedhen mentioned?

If you do decide to remove it I would not close the incision all the way. Leave a bit open so the wound can drain if needed and keep it really clean and keep her inside so flies don't get to her and she gets maggots.

Beat of luck

Very interesting post.

6. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i wouldn't mess with it.. most tumors if that is what it is, when they move freely are rarely harmful.. usually a fatty tumor or cyst..

8. Americanaluver

Jun 18, 2009
    NH
    Quote:I know what oil glands look like, trust me, its not one, but thank you for saying that.

9. Americanaluver

Jun 18, 2009
    NH
    Quote:No speckledhen, its almost a prefect circle, I put a needle half way in it, to see if puss came out, but, blood, again, not puss, but, this time I know I went into it, while it had a hole, I tried popping it, to see if it was a build up of dirt and scum, just blood, I didn't push or squeeze it to hard, just to get puss, nothing though..

10. Americanaluver

Jun 18, 2009
    NH
    Quote:Okay, I felt it again today, and the skin around it is getting tighter, its still "kinda" movable. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by