Hen has waterbelly - what should I do?!

finlay990

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Hi all,
my beautiful 4 1/2 year old leghorn has waterbelly. She hasn't been well for awhile now but has seemed to get worse over the last few days. I put her on OxyMav B (A broad spectrum anti biotic) hoping it might help but after my research and learning about waterbelly, and examining her I am sure this is what she has. Over the last four weeks or so she hasn't been acting right however the last few days she's just been laying down in a hunched position, sleeping with a purple comb. Her abdomen is so swollen and tight, it is about the size of two tennis balls. I know you can drain the fluid yourself as a temporary relief for them, however, Id be really scared doing that as Id be worried I'd do something wrong and make her worse. Or should I just have her humanely put to sleep? There is no cure so this will keep returning for her the rest of her life and I don't know if its fair on her to go through, as well as draining every few months. Please help! She is still eating and drinking.

"she's just been laying down in a hunched position, sleeping with a purple comb. Her abdomen is so swollen and tight, it is about the size of two tennis balls."
This sounds like suffering to me.

Thank you everyone. I was thinking the same thing, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making the wrong decision first. Thank you. I will take her to the vet to be humanely put to sleep today.

The thing thats throwing me off and making me doubt is that she's not constantly looking super sick. I've got her in a seperate pen for her anti biotics and currently she's walking around eating. Then she goes through times of looking really bad. Im worried if I make the decision to euthanise what if she's actually got egg yolk peritonitis and the anti bitocs will help? I only started her on them yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom