Waterbelly Chicken!! How often can I drain?

Vee_Bri

Hatching
May 17, 2024
Does anyone have experience extending a waterbellied chicken’s life by routine draining?

I figured out one of my hens had waterbelly (after thinking she was eggbound and treating as such) and I got the supplies and drained about 60cc from her belly. She’s doing a lot better but still not 100%. Lots of laying around and not eating anything but scrambled eggs. She’s drinking but not enough in my opinion so I am syringing fluids w/ electrolytes for her.

Can I try draining her belly again? It still seems a little full. Is it too soon between drains?

(Yes, I know waterbelly is a death sentence BUT she’s my 7 year old daughters chicken and I vowed to do what I can….as long as she’s comfortable)

Thank you!

You are the one that's able to feel the abdomen to determine if there's more fluid that can be drained.

What symptoms did she exhibit before draining?
Did symptoms improve with the draining?

There are no hard and fast rules with draining, but if she's acting o.k., eating/drinking, moving about, not distressed, not having difficulty breathing, crop is emptying...then she probably doesn't need drained again for a while.

You can try a detox to see if that helps.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...le-to-move-now-laid-egg.1446105/post-24045478

Back
Top Bottom