Hen Has Wry Neck After Predator Attack, Looking For Help/Ideas

BrynneL777

Hatching
Jun 4, 2023
So we've been having raccoon problems where it's been attacking and killing our chickens. (Currently trying to catch the raccoon)

The hen is a sapphire gem, about a year old.

In the evening of Sunday May 28th I heard concerning squawking and went out to find our hen back in an area they aren't typically in. She seemed stunned at least at first. I assume I came out mid attack and am likely the only reason she's still alive.

We brought her inside and examined her. She was bleeding slightly just under her face on her neck. We sprayed it with antibacterial/antifungal spray, gave her water with some hydro hen (powder form) in it. She still seemed stunned so we decided to check in on her later, at which point she had started drinking some. Her neck was slightly crooked, though not bad, especially considering she had just been attacked.

It's been about a week, she's not eating and drinking a ton, but still is eating and drinking. She had even laid an egg since the attack. Though, her neck has only gotten worse since then. She can lift it some, but it's quite concerning.

I have been debating trying syringe feeding water with some vitamins (will likely try in the morning). I guess I'm just looking for ideas on what to do with her. I understand and have told my family that if she doesn't get better, we will have to euthanize her.

So we've been having raccoon problems where it's been attacking and killing our chickens. (Currently trying to catch the raccoon)

The hen is a sapphire gem, about a year old.

In the evening of Sunday May 28th I heard concerning squawking and went out to find our hen back in an area they aren't typically in. She seemed stunned at least at first. I assume I came out mid attack and am likely the only reason she's still alive.

We brought her inside and examined her. She was bleeding slightly just under her face on her neck. We sprayed it with antibacterial/antifungal spray, gave her water with some hydro hen (powder form) in it. She still seemed stunned so we decided to check in on her later, at which point she had started drinking some. Her neck was slightly crooked, though not bad, especially considering she had just been attacked.

It's been about a week, she's not eating and drinking a ton, but still is eating and drinking. She had even laid an egg since the attack. Though, her neck has only gotten worse since then. She can lift it some, but it's quite concerning.

I have been debating trying syringe feeding water with some vitamins (will likely try in the morning). I guess I'm just looking for ideas on what to do with her. I understand and have told my family that if she doesn't get better, we will have to euthanize her.
Has there been any development since then? Is she showing any signs of improvement as of today?

Shock triggers wry neck, as you figured out. Give her 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom