1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Hatched 5, ten eggs left HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DementedHam, Jul 20, 2007.

1. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    ok so my friend's hen hid 15 eggs and incubated them. on the 18 [wed] 5 hatched but now she walks around with the 5 and doesnt really sit on the nest. what can my friend do? she is devastated that the other chickies are going to die since she doesn't stay on her nest. any advice? thanks

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    you can incubate the rest.
    -alex

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would candle the others, Might be they are no good. If they are...and its so close to hatching....you can incubate them. If you dont have an incubator...put them in a cardboard box...with a heat light on them..keep them warm, and draft free. Good luck

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If she does try to finish the incubation, it is a good idea to place the eggs on a damp cloth it make sure there is enough humidity. I finished some duck eggs that way in the past. I just hung a clamp on light with the reflector over the eggs, I used an outdoor thermometer and the damp cloth. It took two day and they hatch fine.

Your firends hen may not have been the only one laying in that spot so there could be a staggered hatch going one. That is why the hen left. She can't raise her babies and hatch more eggs at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by