Hen Haven, Southern Style...Progress Pictures..Alterations...Additions

fireguy56

Songster
9 Years
Oct 2, 2010
Slidell, Louisiana
Hello! For those of you that asked me to keep the photos coming here they are. Since original post....I have installed the chicken door motor and timer...built a step out front....hardware cloth over windows(all five)....finally started framing for covered run area and altered our roost and poop tray design to accomodate more girls we acquired thanks to my grandson Jourdan from Atlanta....he is, THE CHICKEN KID. I have to get going to finish everything else before I leave for Ellijay, Ga. in 10 days to help the Build an Ark..Animal Rescue Shelter project upcoming. 42 from my area going to meet over 500 volnteers from across the country to help build a 185' x 55' barn and other buildings that were destroyed by tornado. Our way of "paying it forward" every year on the anniversary of 9/11. Woman there takes in injured and abandoned animals and nurses them back to good healt...uses the animals as therapy for disabled, troubled teens, etc....Great project this year...Anyway, here are the lstest shots. Hope you all enjoy as much as we do. Thanks, Erik
69010_door_motor-1.jpg

69010_run-chain_link_004.jpg

69010_coop-new_roost-girls_pics_002.jpg

69010_run_roof_framing-babies_001.jpg

69010_run_roof_framing-babies_003.jpg

69010_run_roof_framing-babies_005.jpg

69010_run_roof_framing-babies_007.jpg

For those of you whom haven't followed the progress of our adventure into the chicken experience and our first coop. Please go to our page and look at all of the construction photos. I learned alot from BYC and the site helped me immensely in my final design and so many of the ideas I incorporated into our coop. Still not finished, but getting closer. I just wish I hadn't waited untill Summer to start...it's hot donw here.

Hi, the timer is a simple timer I had laying around from the days of putting Christmas lights up for my kids. Now all grown, but still put up lights. Anyway it is a simple timer that can be purchased at HD or Lowes, maybe even a garage sale or craigslist cheaper. Must have more than one set of trippers to be able to set up/down activation of add-a-motor. Very simple to hook up and set properly. hope this helps. I can go out ther and see if i can get you a manufacturer name and model number if that would help. Trided digital timers, didn't like. This one is simple. Let me know. Erik

No need to go to any trouble. I have a simple one I use for the coop lights already. I'll test that one and buy another if it works well. Thanks a lot!

Your coop/run looks awesome.

Very nice work fireguy! If it gets too hot in Louisiana, I know of a chicken coop and run in the Pacific Northwest that needs an addition and some finishing touches. Summer hasn`t really started here yet - way too much rain, but it sure is green and pretty!

Hey, I know ....been there ....have Firemen buddies in Portland. Been to the Columbia River gourge, bothe sides. Love it. Tjanks for the reply.
Erik

Back
Top Bottom