Hen having yellow watery diarrhea for weeks!

frizzyfizz

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2019
Australia
Hi,

I have a hen that is having clear to yellow milky diarrhea for weeks now.

i have sent her to the vet and initially thought it could be egg peritonitis but an X-ray revealed nothing.

Any idea what I should do? Is it coccidiosis or worms?
She is basically drinking lots of water and still eating her favorite worms. But not eating much.

I have amprolium, doxycycline, probiotics and bird dewormer.

I started her on liquid corid (1.25ml to 500ml of water) for 3 days and she seems to perk up and not as listless.
But the diarrhea still continues and she is probably stressed from the rooster as he always wants to mate. We have already separate them but she keep hiding in a corner.

please do let me know if I should be feeding her a dewormer?

photo attached not from me but from google. Look exactly the same. Thank

Attachments

• 9085468A-D956-468B-AD1D-FF1EC3EC8B5C.jpeg
    9085468A-D956-468B-AD1D-FF1EC3EC8B5C.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 9
Could your vet do a fecal float on some droppings? Worms and coccidiosis can be diagnosed with a fecal test. Or you could continue to treat with amprollium for a few more days, and then worm her with Panacur horse paste 0.25 ml per pound given orally for 5 days.

Last edited:
Could your vet do a fecal float on some droppings? Worms and coccidiosis can be diagnosed with a fecal test. Or you could continue to treat with amprollium for a few more days, and then worm her with Panacur horse paste 0.25 ml per pound given orally for 5 days.

Will be sending her to the vet again this week but she is fully booked till Friday.

My girl is not eating well and losing weight.

Can I feed her bird wormer (20g/L Praziquantel, 20g/L Oxfendazole)?

I have a hen that is having clear to yellow milky diarrhea for weeks now.

i have sent her to the vet and initially thought it could be egg peritonitis but an X-ray revealed nothing.

Any idea what I should do? Is it coccidiosis or worms?
She is basically drinking lots of water and still eating her favorite worms. But not eating much.
But the diarrhea still continues and she is probably stressed from the rooster as he always wants to mate. We have already separate them but she keep hiding in a corner.
My girl is not eating well and losing weight.
Does she lay eggs at all?
I would check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen?
Since you are taking her back to the vet have them perform a fecal float.

See if she will eat some wet soupy food.

Does she lay eggs at all?
I would check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen?
Since you are taking her back to the vet have them perform a fecal float.

See if she will eat some wet soupy food.

She stopped laying eggs for a month now. She’s already 2 years old.Will check her crop tomorrow morning, no bloat or fluid in her abdomen.

She suddenly has a change in behavior and is now avoiding the rooster. Keep hiding in her own corner.

Cooked some scrambled eggs and added mealworms and at least she’s eating the worms and a tiny bit of eggs.

She stopped laying eggs for a month now. She’s already 2 years old.Will check her crop tomorrow morning, no bloat or fluid in her abdomen.

She suddenly has a change in behavior and is now avoiding the rooster. Keep hiding in her own corner.

Cooked some scrambled eggs and added mealworms and at least she’s eating the worms and a tiny bit of eggs.
How is she this morning?
Check to see if she's molting, that will make them avoid the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom