Hen health Mystery - she's out of ICU, but needs help recovering

Quote:
I agree- mealy worms with those pincers really make me squirm - they creep me out, too. Hopefully she'll have grit left from before. I'm glad to hear that you were able to get some syringes of baby feed onto her. That should help. I bet her sisters are having a great time! /sigh

And yes - chickens will starve themselves if they don't feel eating.

So i wazined the other hens this morning.
You recommend following up with piperazine - but the active ingredients in wazine are piperazine.
Do i need to followup with yet another product, or could i just re-dose them in 10 -14 days with Wazine? Confused...

Chickie is so depressed in the house and desperate to get back with her peeps- she wandered into the coop last night while the girls were bathing 'on the yard' and cuddled up on the roost. The others are less mean to her now that she can run away from them. I brought her back in last night tho.

Wondering about putting her back in the crowd, after I take out the Wazine. She may be a 'social' eater. She likes the baby parrot food, but this is going to get really old, fast.

Thanks again!

Quote:
If they're under four months, I do recommend piperazine follow up. I might have mistyped for others - I meant to follow up with fenbendazole, or ivermectin pour-on, or valbazen, or...etc.

Technically you can redose with wazine for all birds - but then you're stuck reworming them every 6 weeks as it only kills adult worms, not larva. That's why with birds over 4 months I recommend the follow up be with something that also kills larva. (One of the broad-spectrum wormers). Wazine is meant to be followed up each time, but the broad spectrum wormers mean you don't have to. Thereafter I personally worm twice annually with a broad spectrum.

On putting her back, if you feel she's up to it, I'd do so. But consider putting someone in with her first for a day or two, and then putting them back in with the other hens at night. It's harder for the hens to pick on two "new" chickens than one. You don't want them to stress her and undo your hard work, so that's one way of confusing them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom