HEN HELP

savvychickz

Songster
Jan 25, 2019
So I went to take care of my flock today and I found one of my hens (I don’t believe she has layed before) Like this, it seems to be an egg and she keeps pushing to get it out? what do I do? How do I fix this? There’s no opening to try and get the egg out.
6D5F8A10-F757-4C64-967D-41F706EA5410.jpeg

She keeps trying to lay it but it’s literally stuck in a sac and I don’t see any entrance to it.

That is a prolapsed vent... not sure if an egg is in there or not.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
I personally consider it a condition that will repeat... and I cull for it. But I know that is NOT the best answer for everyone.

Hopefully now that you know what you are dealing with... you can get more information on your searches.

If it is caused by egg binding... after it's pushed back IN... you might consider trying a (warm) Epsom salt bath... the magnesium absorbs through the skin to help sore muscles. Also if it might be a soft egg (or any) giving a crushed tums... their calcium won't do anything for a currently stuck egg, but it does help with the muscle contractions for pushing it out.

Just below where the vent looks regular and light pink... that is the opening. The rest is the inside of the vent hanging out. :(

:fl

That is a prolapsed vent... not sure if an egg is in there or not.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
I personally consider it a condition that will repeat... and I cull for it. But I know that is NOT the best answer for everyone.

Hopefully now that you know what you are dealing with... you can get more information on your searches.

If it is caused by egg binding... after it's pushed back IN... you might consider trying a (warm) Epsom salt bath... the magnesium absorbs through the skin to help sore muscles. Also if it might be a soft egg (or any) giving a crushed tums... their calcium won't do anything for a currently stuck egg, but it does help with the muscle contractions for pushing it out.

Just below where the vent looks regular and light pink... that is the opening. The rest is the inside of the vent hanging out. :(

:fl
Yes there is an egg in there and she keeps trying to push, we gave her a bath, I don’t see an opening? Culling is an option if we can’t solve this

Yes there is an egg in there and she keeps trying to push, we gave her a bath, I don’t see an opening? Culling is an option if we can’t solve this
Ohhh.... :(

I MIGHT try pushing and holding the whole thing back in for a short time to see if it can untangle itself and come out correctly. Sorry you and her face this! :hugs

Also call in some troops for ya, @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony TIA for any help here!

Ohhh.... :(

I MIGHT try pushing and holding the whole thing back in for a short time to see if it can untangle itself and come out correctly. Sorry you and her face this! :hugs

Also call in some troops for ya, @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony TIA for any help here!
I think we are just gonna do the humane thing and cull her so she doesn’t have to go through this in the future :(!

I'm sorry about your pullet :hugs

I have not had a prolapse with an egg, but do have a couple of videos to link you to. A few folks have been able to get the egg out after watching them - it may be worth a shot. (both videos are by the same girl, the second one is an update, the hen survived and is doing well)

As for culling, that would be up to you - you are supported whatever decision you make. A prolapse by itself can sometimes be hard to fix. I have ended up culling a pullet with a severely damaged prolapse. Right now, your girl's tissue looks "healthy". Keeping it moist will be important - use what you have on hand - honey, coconut oil, Prep H, etc.
If you want to work on her and see if you can resolve it, I suggest you take a deep breath, gather all your thoughts and supplies, have them at hand and then proceed. Hope for the best, but prepare yourself for the worst. I wish I could offer more - please keep us posted.

I'm sorry about your pullet :hugs

I have not had a prolapse with an egg, but do have a couple of videos to link you to. A few folks have been able to get the egg out after watching them - it may be worth a shot. (both videos are by the same girl, the second one is an update, the hen survived and is doing well)

As for culling, that would be up to you - you are supported whatever decision you make. A prolapse by itself can sometimes be hard to fix. I have ended up culling a pullet with a severely damaged prolapse. Right now, your girl's tissue looks "healthy". Keeping it moist will be important - use what you have on hand - honey, coconut oil, Prep H, etc.
If you want to work on her and see if you can resolve it, I suggest you take a deep breath, gather all your thoughts and supplies, have them at hand and then proceed. Hope for the best, but prepare yourself for the worst. I wish I could offer more - please keep us posted.

We ended up culling her, she seemed in a lot of pain and I didn’t want it to happen again for her in the future.

Back
Top Bottom