hen house by citrus trees...will it kill the trees?

da-cajun-angla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
laplace,la
im wanting to move my hen house to the opposite side of my yard b/c my neighbor doesnt like it so close to his backyard...understandable. but its like 5-7ft away from my citrus trees. will all the fresh crap kill em'?
thanks,
shaun

I wouldn't think so. Usually such trees like acidic soil anyway and their roots are so deep they shouldn't get burned by the fresh manure. The stuff that reaches the roots should just be good nutrients washed in by rain.

No, I have put my chickens in where there are 3 large trees. Grant it they have only been there for 3 months, but they are actually helping the trees. The color is better, and they keep the ants and other pests off the trees. I don't have nearly as much black soot or thrifes.
My husband has a degree in citrus, and he said to put them there. Yesterday I dumped the chicken manure I have been collecting on other citrus trees. It will dry out on top of the soil and next time it rains, it will be ready.
La Donna
socal

My girls have a grapefruit tree and a stand of bananas inside of their run. No problems but I only have 4 hens. They do love the bananas, I have to fight just to get my share of the crop.

Shouldn't be a problem.

I've seen lots of coops around grapefruit and oranges. No problems.

Keep you neighbors happy if you can.

I don't think you'll have any problems. I live in Florida and have several orange trees. I have let my birds range around them and they even peck and eat the insides of any fallen fruit. I do put rings I made out of a roll of light gauge metal about a foot tall and put it around the base of the trunks of the trees as the birds will scratch close to the tree trunk and at the base of the trunks are shallow roots which is common to citrus trees .I also have apples, pears, plum, mulberry, peaches, fig and pecan trees. My birds have shown no problems. I have a friend who is a vet. She checks my birds out once in awhile and tell me they are very healthy. Right now the birds are ranging in the corn field, When I put them out in the orchard in the summer, I put the rings around the bases of the trees. Also they like to lay under the trees in the hot summers here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom