Hen house/chicken coop

Oreoandhens

Chirping
Jul 26, 2020
Bedford, United Kingdom
Does anyone know where to find a well priced hen house/chicken coop? I am looking to purchase a big chicken run so need a small coop to go inside of it, sort of like a hut! Somewhere in the UK please:)

beware cheap coops - either they are too small for anything more than a couple of bantams, or they're mite traps, or both. The coop is more important than the run, so whatever you were going to spend on the run, spend at least that on the coop.

I recommend Green Frog designs. Easy peasy and quick to clean thoroughly, and hold their value, so when you've had enough (if you ever have enough of chickens) you can sell them for almost as much as you bought them. Also made from recycled plastic, so doing your bit for the environment.

Selling sites: Facebook, Gumtree, Shpock, Preloved.

How many chooks do you have? A hut sized coop doesn’t sound very big. Why not look into small sheds or playhouses? Prefabs are usually no good for more than 2-3 chooks and they usually need lots of work, more ventilation, higher roosts, predator proofing.

beware cheap coops - either they are too small for anything more than a couple of bantams, or they're mite traps, or both. The coop is more important than the run, so whatever you were going to spend on the run, spend at least that on the coop.

I recommend Green Frog designs. Easy peasy and quick to clean thoroughly, and hold their value, so when you've had enough (if you ever have enough of chickens) you can sell them for almost as much as you bought them. Also made from recycled plastic, so doing your bit for the environment.
I will have a look at that brand, thank you. I’m definitely not keen on a super cheap coop. We also do have the option of keeping our one just taking off the run side of it! I will attach a picture of it.

Attachments

• 19C82516-18C5-49DD-A249-9AD015990952.jpeg
    19C82516-18C5-49DD-A249-9AD015990952.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 8
Thanks! That’s what I did. However it was a 4x6 playhouse I built from repurposed wooden pallets that I made for my kids several years ago that they’ve since outgrown. The only modifications I had to do was to cut in a pop door, add the roosts and poop board, modify one window and add HWC to the three windows and the open soffits. But so far my 6 pullets seem to love it! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom