Hen hunched over and looking sick! Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl234, Dec 24, 2015.

1. chickengirl234

chickengirl234 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2015
    She feels like a 1

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Its possible by removing the rooster, one of the other hens has taken over as flock leader and she is aggressive and bullying this hen away from food and water. If she looks a lot better tomorrow, this is a good possibility.

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If she is no better tomorrow than she definitely has something going on inside. I would then consider the Corid and worming her.

4. chickengirl234

chickengirl234 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2015
    I have found gloves but I cannot find any lube, do you suggest still checking without lube?

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sick birds will refuse layer feed. High protein foods are good for sick birds. Hard boiled eggs are great emergency food for birds and can be fed exclusively for long periods of time. I would get some eggs in her, some alfalfa hay is good high protein food and things like yogurt will help as well. What EVER she will eat to keep her alive while you are treating her, even if all she will eat is saltine crackers.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can use water as lube.

-Kathy

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can go in without any lube if you have none.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Use cooking oil if you have to

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Or even baby oil or hand lotion

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Definitely keep her inside and DO_NOT bathe her. If she has an egg, use the steam bath method instead:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rgency-and-supportive-care-updated-12-21-2015

Gotta be brutally honest and say that birds with a body score of 1 are very hard to save even with round the clock supportive care. Do you have a scale? Might be a good idea to get a baseline weight on her.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by