Hen hurt BADLY....might need to be put out of misery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannonb1, Dec 10, 2010.

1. shannonb1

shannonb1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    My one and only beautiful big buff orp...didn't get in the coop on Tuesday night.....couldn't find her.
    Figured she'd be okay, one of my older "more experienced" hens has done this and survived so I didn't
    worry too much. Found her in the morning and she was bloody and couldn't stand. Brought her in the porch
    with food and water. She'll drink if I wiggle my finger in the water, but still can't stand. The only wound I can
    find is a cut (deep) right on her spine. Think maybe back is broke. She's alert and like I said will drink lots when
    I take her out of kennel and show her the water. She won't eat. Made her scrambled eggs and she kind of pecked
    at them, but that is it. Time to put her out of her misery?????

Sad.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    She's most likely in shock. I'd put her in the dog kennel with food and water available, keep her warm and quiet for the next 24 hrs. Don't mess with her, just let her rest. She won't die of starvation in one day, but it should help her. If you have some electrolytes put some in her water. Antibiotics would be good too since she has a wound. Hope she pulls through!

3. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Quote:I agree, let her rest quietly...

4. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:I agree. I would not be too hasty.

5. shannonb1

Jul 27, 2009
    Even if she can't walk? She's been in there quiet for 2 days - this is day number 3.

She lays with one wing half sprawled out. Her comb is still bright red.

I hate this part about chickens [​IMG]

What about something for pain? I did put some electrolytes in the water. Thank you everyone.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Lightly run your fingers AROUND her wound and back area. Does she seem uneasy or in pain if so stop put her back and post.

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I don't personally think there is much use in giving baby asprin for major injuries. Likely very worth while giving standard wound care and clean the area up well and cover with non painkiller antibiotic cream. Other than that time and TLC ans see how it goes. Seems quite often chickens will stop moving after major injury but after a couple days bounce back.

8. shannonb1

Jul 27, 2009
    I did that this morning....also spread both wings out....seems to be missing alot of her feathers on her left wing. Does not have use of her left leg...it's not cold to the touch though. When I was trying to see her wound.....she didn't flinch...it's almost like she didn't "feel" anything. She will only drink when I tip the bowl. She cannot lift herself up to get in the bowl. That is why I'm thinking paralyzation. Is that even a word? She squawked when I picked her up this morning - to get her some water. But she sure drinks alot when I get her to. She stays in the same spot - unless I move her. I know this because her poop is in the same spot and there is no movement of the shavings. She's been in the same spot for this is the 3rd day. : (

9. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I would try and see if she has any movement in her legs or does she respond to pin prick.If not and lgs are flaccid then most likely spinal injury put her down.

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Give her a chance....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by