Hen ID help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheFarmMama, Nov 4, 2009.

1. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Hopefully Rosie is easier to identify than my roos! Thanks yall!
    [​IMG]

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Red sex link, production red, cherry egger,
    They have a lot of names. Great layers.

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

yep red sex link. She's a hybred chick-e-poo, bred for egg production and color sex linkage at hatch.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Red sex-link is the general name for the breed. I've seen hatcheries call them a variety of things such as Cinnamon Queens, for example. They are a hybrid egg-laying breed and she should be a laying machine!

5. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Okay, so what is the difference between a sex link and RIR? I have been thinking i have a RIR, but maybe it's a sex link..mine sure looks like what's pictured.

6. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Thanks for clarifying yall...too many names for one cute chick! lol She definitely doesn't disappoint...a speckled bottom brown egg everyday by 9am [​IMG]

7. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    a red sex link is a hybrid breed. The chicks are able to be sexed at hatch by their color. this hybrid "breed" cannot be bred to itself to produce more of its kind. it is a mixture of two or more breeds bred together for two purposes: distinguishing between males and females at birth, and egg production value.

a RIR is a Rhode Island Red. this is a breed of chicken that is a dark mahogany color. a show quality or hatchery quality RIR will not have any white in its feathers. the color of "red" could vary between very dark brownish burgundy or mahogany (probably from a breeder), to a muddy orange-ish red-ish color (hatchery quality).

below are pics of RIRs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the poster's picture is a red sex link. (notice the white feathers particularly around the neck and tail feathers)

8. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    She looks like my little red hens, red sex links. Our feed store calls them golden sex links. They're great layers and good hens. I'm really pleased with them.

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Red sex link

10. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Red or Gold Sex-Link. Is there a difference?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by