Hen ID please

wisecane

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
Hi,

I'm new to the chicken world. I suffered a setback with some predators, and I want to know what breeds I have before I rebuild my flock.

These chickens were bought at a Rural King in Florida. I wasn't there when they were bought so I have no idea what they are.

I have one large yellow, one black and what I believe is a RIR.

Large Yellow with the other yellow in the background.

Yellow 1.jpg

Yellow 2: the one in the background is an Ameraucana (blue egger) she didn't make it.
yellow 2.jpg

Yellow 3: Top view of the yellow speckled.
yellow 3 top view.jpg

Blackie:

blackie.jpg

I know these aren't the best pics, I can take more this evening. Just curious about the big yellow and this black one. I will mainly rebuild my flock with the yellows if I can determine what they are.

Thanks!

Calico Princesses, perhaps?
That's what I'm seeing. The pics are too small to zoom in and see details. Both buff birds look like Calico Princesses. Looks like you've got 2 breeds of red hens. A Rhode Island Red and perhaps NHRs? I see a Columbian looking pattern on a couple I think. Can't really tell. The black one is a Black Sex Link.

That's what I'm seeing. The pics are too small to zoom in amd see details. Both buff birds look like Calico Princesses. Looks like you've got 2 breeds of red hens. A Rhode Island Red and perhaps NHRs? I see a Columbian looking pattern on a couple I think. Can't really tell. The black one is a Black Sex Link.
Thank you!

I'm going to take better pictures hopefully tonight. I really want to know for sure on the yellows. They were the best of the bunch. I'm going to add a few Ameraucanas too for th colors.

Thank you!

I'm going to take better pictures hopefully tonight. I really want to know for sure on the yellows. They were the best of the bunch. I'm going to add a few Ameraucanas too for th colors.
I feel confident that they were Calico Princesses. The Ams are probably actually Easter Eggers.

If you haven't already, I would fix the area that became the problem for the predator before adding new birds. Chicken wire which I see in your pics is only made to keep chickens in - not to keep predators out. So moving forward, that's also something to think about.

Good luck with your new birds!

I feel confident that they were Calico Princesses. The Ams are probably actually Easter Eggers.

If you haven't already, I would fix the area that became the problem for the predator before adding new birds. Chicken wire which I see in your pics is only made to keep chickens in - not to keep predators out. So moving forward, that's also something to think about.

Good luck with your new birds!
Do Easter eggers have beards? She was killed so I won't be able to get better pics, but she was orange-ish with a beard, no comb and her "accent" feathers (neck, wing tips, long tail feathers pardon my ignorance but I don't know the proper term for them) was blue in the light. She also laid the prettiest blue eggs.

My mother-in-law (an old Brazilian lady) told me that the accent colors on the bird would show up in the egg (mostly).

Out of my original 10 that was spot-on.

The black one has deep bronze accent colors and her eggs are always the darkest.

Here's a pic of a typical egg day before they were lost. You can see the blue (faintly) the two large speckled eggs from the yellows and then the darkest brown.

The rest were from the reds.

eggs.jpg

Do Easter eggers have beards? She was killed so I won't be able to get better pics, but she was orange-ish with a beard, no comb and her "accent" feathers (neck, wing tips, long tail feathers pardon my ignorance but I don't know the proper term for them) was blue in the light. She also laid the prettiest blue eggs.

My mother-in-law (an old Brazilian lady) told me that the accent colors on the bird would show up in the egg (mostly).

Out of my original 10 that was spot-on.

The black one has deep bronze accent colors and her eggs are always the darkest.

Here's a pic of a typical egg day before they were lost. You can see the blue (faintly) the two large speckled eggs from the yellows and then the darkest brown.

The rest were from the reds.

View attachment 3217260
They do! Where did you get her?

The egg color is a neat coincidence, but nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom