Hen in Nest Box all day...could she want to be broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chiko, May 28, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    My RIR hen has been in the nest box since 9:00 this morning (utah time) Not sure what's wrong with her. I looked under her she layed her egg but is still there. could she want to be broody?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Maybe. Does she show any other sign's of broodiness? Like puffing out her feathers, walking around making low clucking noises, not allowing rooster to mate? If you take her off does she go right back in? My Buff Orp puff's herself up size of a basketball, holds her wings out, and goes in circles clucking and just generally cranky with the other hens. Then she's right back on the nest.

3. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    If she sleeps in the nest box tonight, and goes back in when you take her off, she probably is starting. Better to break her now if you don't want her to go full broody. It's lots easier when they first start. Once they go into the hormonal broody trance and puff up and get irritable it's harder.
    good luck! [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

She may just be "considering going" broody. You'll know within a few days whether she's full on broody or not. Looks for the signs cafarmgirl mentioned.

5. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I was going to start a post like this...Yep, I think I have a BR going broody...What to do??? Should I find eggs for her or break her now??

6. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    She does growl at other hens but not at me. She does notice when I take the eggs and freaks out. When I took her out, she stayed out, ate, drank, and took a LONG dustbath and went back in. At night she slept on the roost but today she is there again. Same is happening with my Japanese but exactly the oppisite, she's in there at night and not during the day. Whats wrong with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by