Hen in Shock

Melissaderoso

Hatching
Oct 21, 2020
I made the mistake of forgetting to lock the coop up the other night and we were attacked by a bobcat. One hen is gone and the other is in shock. She doesn’t seem to have any wounds other than a cut on her comb and I see some dried blood by her ear but can’t find the source. She’s lost a lot of feathers and has a bald spot by her ear where the dried blood is but other then that looks to be alright. I have her in our dog crate on a dog bed with a towel over it and have been dipping her beak in electrolytes and water which she does seem to swallow. She is pooping normal and even laid an egg for us yesterday. She moves around a little in the crate and yesterday after this happened and before I decided to bring her in she would get frightened and run around the yard without a problem. In the crate she is able to lay down or stand up whichever she prefers without a problem but mostly just stares off or sleeps. Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I give her antibiotics even though I can’t find any open wounds? Should I be trying to force her to eat? How long does chicken shock last? Please help. I feel so guilty and am so mad at myself! Picture is from before I put her in the crate but shows the dried blood.
51EA2B11-5801-4F57-8F8B-8CAEE95DFB9F.jpeg

I would offer food and water with electrolytes and vitamins often. Make plain water available as well in case she doesn’t drink the electrolytes. Internal injuries could be possible, so at this point I would not force feed. Antibiotics would only be usefel if you find hidden wounds, but look under her wings and feathers. Hoping that your hen survives.

I would offer food and water with electrolytes and vitamins often. Make plain water available as well in case she doesn’t drink the electrolytes. Internal injuries could be possible, so at this point I would not force feed. Antibiotics would only be usefel if you find hidden wounds, but look under her wings and feathers. Hoping that your hen survives.
Thank you! I am beginning to have faith that she will make it. She seems to be getting better as time goes. She is starting to eat and drink on her own and is moving around a lot more. She even ruffled up her feathers and did a small shake but I can tell she’s sore by the way she did it. Hoping and praying that she continues to improve!

Back
Top Bottom