Hen incubating eggs - first timer advice needed!

ukash82

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2015
Just looking for a bit of advice! I have four Cochins and one has gone broody this week. We got some fertilized eggs and she is now sitting those beautifully. I've been getting all kinds of conflicting information about what to do now! She is currently in a nesting box which is about 2 feet off the ground. I'm assuming I need to move her and the eggs to ground level? But where should I house her and what should I house her in??
This is more stressful than when I had my own baby! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'm in the north of England so the weather is averaging about 55 during the day and 40 on the night.

Hello!

I'm also from England and you can join us on the England thread if you want :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/2199/anyone-in-england

Being two feet off the ground shouldn't be a big problem. The main issue you will face is the other hens. As a result, isolating her in the nesting box by herself may be a good idea (if you don't have a spare coop, find some leftover chicken wire and secure it on the front of the nesting box so no one else can get it). Then let her off once or twice a day to eat and relieve herself.

I have also linked a good article about broodies for you to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

Last edited:
That's fantastic! I'll join the England thread! Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely do that! What do I do about food and water for the chicks once they hatch?

I've just seen the attached link at the bottom of your post. I'll have a read through it before I ask anymore questions!
1f61c.png

That's fantastic! I'll join the England thread! Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely do that! What do I do about food and water for the chicks once they hatch?

The chicks may hatch out of time with eachother. The mother will wait 1-2 days to make sure they have all hatched before she will leave the nest and begin teaching them. You will need to feed the chick feed (you should find this quite easily where you get your regular feed). Provide a regular water container for them.

Once they have left the nest, the other hens may try and harass the chicks depending on the mothers position in the pecking order. As a result, you may have to have them in their own run until the chicks can defend themselves.

The chicks may hatch out of time with eachother. The mother will wait 1-2 days to make sure they have all hatched before she will leave the nest and begin teaching them. You will need to feed the chick feed (you should find this quite easily where you get your regular feed). Provide a regular water container for them.

Once they have left the nest, the other hens may try and harass the chicks depending on the mothers position in the pecking order. As a result, you may have to have them in their own run until the chicks can defend themselves.

Thanks for that. I'm going to have a look at their coop and run tomorrow and see if I can figure out a way to divide it up!

Back
Top Bottom