hen is about dead

kearstin17

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Grand junction
I have a hen that was healthy and doing great lastnight. today I go out and find she laying in the middle of the run. She is breathing but that is it. eyes closed and just laying there. I looked at her vent to make sure it looked normal which it looks fine. When I lifted her tail feathers she fell to the side and was to weak to even get back up. There is no animal that could of gotten in there and I just don't know what could of made her sick. Anyone have any ideals. I am afraid it is to late to save her but I am willing to try whatever I need to. She is one of my fav. hens :(

I wish I could help. One of my hens started being lethargic two days ago and today she is almost dead. She has her tail feathers down, her head down in the nest box, other hens were pecking at her. Is there a way to tell if a hen has an egg blocked?

Quickly get some electrolytes into her even honey water anything to give her a boost...
Get her warm & sitting up right.

Oh, I am sooooo sorry!
We had to put our old original hen Wilma down 2 weeks ago. She exhibited the same signs as yours. We tried a lot of different things but not knowing what the cause really was we were basically flying blind.

Hugs and good luck!

She past away. I have no clue what happened. She was only a year old. Her vent looked fine and her feathers were not standing up. She was fine yesterday. I am so lost as to why she died. We have another chicken pass away a month go from a prolapse and so I knew to check the vent. I am so lost right now. I pray that it isn't something that can hurt the other chickens. :(

I'm sorry. It's wierd we are both going through the same problem. Mine started being lethargic two days ago and she is barely breathing now. Expecting her to die any minute. I had another one that died suddenly like that about a month ago. You would think if it was contagious, they would all get sick together.

We have the same problem here, kinda spooky, one of our girls had a seizure today and is walking with a drooped tail.

There are basically three things that can possibly cause death that everyone in this thread has experienced with their hens, with no other described symptoms: Eggbound/egg impacted, lice/mites, worms...or a combination of these.

I had a hen die. She was laying in the run dead and I found her. I am so lost...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom