Hen is acting sick and tired HELP!!

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
This is the second day I noticed my hen is laying down or standing with her wings down and her head kind of down with her eyes closed and she doesnt really want to walk around and move just close her eyes so i let the flock out to free range a couple minutes ago and she just walked out a few feet and stood and closed her eyes when other times she would be pacing around catching bugs and raking threw the leaves with her hen buddies and her rooster but no she just stood and closed her eyes so i picked her up and she just sat there and about from her end of her wings to her butt it felt not swollen but it felt like it was full of liquid or gas or something so i put her back in the pen and I gave her of course water and chicken food but then i brought her a couple raw eggs,french vanilla yogert,and a bowl of fruit punch gatorade,and a cob of soft corn and she enjoys the raw eggs and a little bit of the yogert and she tooks a couple pecks at the gatorade but what else can I do???? And her butt has poop running down it and she poops out liquidy poop......I really need ANY HELP please!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP....thanks everyone!

This is the second day I noticed my hen is laying down or standing with her wings down and her head kind of down with her eyes closed and she doesnt really want to walk around and move just close her eyes so i let the flock out to free range a couple minutes ago and she just walked out a few feet and stood and closed her eyes when other times she would be pacing around catching bugs and raking threw the leaves with her hen buddies and her rooster but no she just stood and closed her eyes so i picked her up and she just sat there and about from her end of her wings to her butt it felt not swollen but it felt like it was full of liquid or gas or something so i put her back in the pen and I gave her of course water and chicken food but then i brought her a couple raw eggs,french vanilla yogert,and a bowl of fruit punch gatorade,and a cob of soft corn and she enjoys the raw eggs and a little bit of the yogert and she tooks a couple pecks at the gatorade but what else can I do???? And her butt has poop running down it and she poops out liquidy poop......I really need ANY HELP please!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP....thanks everyone!

How old is she? Older hens often get Egg Yolk Peronitis (an infection caused by internal laying) or acites (fluid accumulation in their abdominal cavity). If her rear end is feeling squishy and full of liquid, then acites seems like the most likely possibility. There is no real treatment for this problem, though some people have success using a syringe and needle to remove the liquid.

Also, does she feel particularly thin to you? What do her droppings look like? Coccidiosis or worms are other possibilities. In the case of Coccidiosis, treat with Corid powder or liquid for 5-7 days. You can generally find Corid at a local livestock supply store (it is often sold for cattle). The 20% Corid powder dosage is 3/4 teaspoon powder per gallon of water, and the 9.6% Corid liquid dosage is 1/2 teaspoon liquid per quart of water. Vitamins should not be given during treatment as they will interfere with the Corid's effect.

In the case of worms, I would purchase a broad-spectrum wormer like Valbazen, SafeGuard, or the Worminator (contains Flubenvet and is what I use). You can usually purchase those wormers from livestock supply stores, and the Worminator can be ordered online from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584. I do not know the dosages for Valbazen and SafeGuard, but that information can most likely be found by searching BYC.

Other than that, it sounds like you are doing everything that I would do if I were in your situation. Keep encouraging her to eat and drink, make sure she is warm and comfortable, and minimize stresses (animals walking around, loud noise, temperature fluctuations, etc.). If she gets worse, though, you might consider humanly culling her to end her suffering.

How old is she? Older hens often get Egg Yolk Peronitis (an infection caused by internal laying) or acites (fluid accumulation in their abdominal cavity). If her rear end is feeling squishy and full of liquid, then acites seems like the most likely possibility. There is no real treatment for this problem, though some people have success using a syringe and needle to remove the liquid.

Also, does she feel particularly thin to you? What do her droppings look like? Coccidiosis or worms are other possibilities. In the case of Coccidiosis, treat with Corid powder or liquid for 5-7 days. You can generally find Corid at a local livestock supply store (it is often sold for cattle). The 20% Corid powder dosage is 3/4 teaspoon powder per gallon of water, and the 9.6% Corid liquid dosage is 1/2 teaspoon liquid per quart of water. Vitamins should not be given during treatment as they will interfere with the Corid's effect.

In the case of worms, I would purchase a broad-spectrum wormer like Valbazen, SafeGuard, or the Worminator (contains Flubenvet and is what I use). You can usually purchase those wormers from livestock supply stores, and the Worminator can be ordered online from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584. I do not know the dosages for Valbazen and SafeGuard, but that information can most likely be found by searching BYC.

Other than that, it sounds like you are doing everything that I would do if I were in your situation. Keep encouraging her to eat and drink, make sure she is warm and comfortable, and minimize stresses (animals walking around, loud noise, temperature fluctuations, etc.). If she gets worse, though, you might consider humanly culling her to end her suffering.

Shes only about 2 years old or so and her poop is liquidy annd I have chicken wormer and I will giver her some,thanks so much for the advice and help

Make sure that her crop is emptying overnight--check it in the morning--if it is full and hard or full and squishy, those are abnormal. Check her vent with a gloved and lubricated finger inside about an inch and a half for a stuck egg (egg bound.) If you suspect this, give her some a calcium tablet or Tums, and soak her bottom in a tub of warm water to relax her enough to pass the egg. I agree with BL21 about worming, and suspecting coccidiosis. That needs to be treated with Corid for 5 days. Sometimes the diarrhea is bloody, and sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom