Hen is bleeding

jmaull

Hatching
Sep 16, 2022
Please help ì have a hen bleeding at her vent. An egg was laid a few days ago no she'll, and this morning an egg was laid in the nest but way a puddle. Now this Gen is bleeding and I am guessing she has an egg the broke inside?? We soaked her in a tub of warm water, no change.

Please help ì have a hen bleeding at her vent. An egg was laid a few days ago no she'll, and this morning an egg was laid in the nest but way a puddle. Now this Gen is bleeding and I am guessing she has an egg the broke inside?? We soaked her in a tub of warm water, no change.

Is it just blood, or intestines as well? If there are intestines, she has a vent prolapse. If just blood, she may have sustained injury inside from the broken egg.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos?

Without more info, it's hard to know why she's bleeding.
If you think a shell broke inside the vent, then feel gently inside the vent about 1-2" with a gloved, lubricated finger to see if you feel any shell.

If she has tissue protruding from the vent like a prolapse, it may have been damaged or picked at by the flock or she may have picked at it herself.
Any tissue that is hanging out, needs to be kept moist with ointment, oil or honey, you don't want it to dry out.

You do want to try to keep her hydrated and I would also give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet once daily for a few days.

Hopefully with photos and more info, we can offer better suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom