Hen is broody but won't stay on eggs

littletabby83

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Oakland, OR
My sweet, super spoiled bantam hen has gone half way broody. Is this normal? She's been laying in the nest box for about an hour or two, certainly not long enough for hatching, but flattens herself out and gruffs at the other hens if they disturb her. She's also been fluffing out her feathers and grunting at my husband, children, dog and cat if they come near her when she's not nesting. She sleeps in our house on the nightstand next to my side of the bed. When the dog or cat or any of the other human family members come near, she acts like she's sitting on a nest. She won't do this to me, but anyone and anything else. I don't understand why she's acting like a broody hen, but it seems to have nothing to do with eggs. More like a territorial thing??? Please advise! I want my sweet little cuddle hen back!

I have no advice, but I just wanted to say, how cute is that! She sleeps on your night stand! What happens on a normal morning when she wakes up?

If I don't get up when she's awake, she makes faint clucking noises. If I don't tend to her right away, I end up with a chicken on my head!Then she hops off the bed, eats from her bowl in the kitchen and I let her out to join the flock after removing her diaper. She waits by the door to be let in at night while all the others go roost in the coop. She's a character and so special.

How old is she? Sometimes a younger hen might try out going broody. They will behave like they are broody for a few days then be back to normal for a week, and then try the broody behavior again. Some hens will do this periodically throughout their lives and never actually go fully broody. Think of it as hormonally induced mood swings.

Back
Top Bottom