Hen is completely not herself....

Believe it or not, my hen layed her egg and is eating again. I tried the calcium using tums. I brought her in the house because our temps are going to drop and I would like her to rest and stay warm. Will the eggbound issue no be something she will get all the time? I give them oyster shell in a separate dispenser so I don't know why she became eggbound. Any ideas?
Good to hear that she's better than before. Hens that get egg bound are more susceptible to getting egg bound again. However, some hens will get egg bound once, and then be perfectly fine for the rest of their lives. How old is she, and how long has she been laying? Hens new to laying occaisonally get egg bound because their reproductive systems aren't quite used to the laying process yet. Older hens may have other problems, like internal laying, that make them more likely to get egg bound.

Well.... we went to the vet. Had an xray done. Something from her gizzard passed that wasn't supposed to and is now blocking her system. If we can't get it to pass, we'll lose her. She is finally drinking, with some encouragment, vinegar water. But is still not eating. She is getting weaker. Sleeping a lot. I don't know what to do. If I can get her to eat we will have to put her to sleep. ...

Any luck with Greek yogurt, Since it is close to liquid she might eat it and it might be thick enough to help what ever got stuck. Also maybe try to force a small amount of olive oil down her throat. .... I am guessing, so if anyone thinks this might be dangerous please chime in.

Good to hear that she's better than before. Hens that get egg bound are more susceptible to getting egg bound again. However, some hens will get egg bound once, and then be perfectly fine for the rest of their lives. How old is she, and how long has she been laying? Hens new to laying occaisonally get egg bound because their reproductive systems aren't quite used to the laying process yet. Older hens may have other problems, like internal laying, that make them more likely to get egg bound.
I purchased her from a local Chicken Farmer as a laying bantam hen. I have two Bearded Mille Fleur d'Uccle roosters that I wanted to have a few hens their size. It so happens that I only have two bantam hens now. I think she was approximately 8 or 9 months old and that was back in May 2013. This is the first time she did this which scared me and I thought that I was truly going to loose another bantam hen. Thank you for your input. I hope this is the only time she does this. UGH!

Okay, my girl must be old. She is back to breathing heavy and not showing interest in food. I had given her a cc of Tylan two days ago. I am thinking she is not going to be with us long. You would think she would have continued to improve since she passed the egg. I have no insight as to what my girl is feeling. Poor Maude.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Unfortunately we lost Meriweather. But she hung on until I was holding her in front of the pellet stove. So I know she was happy and warm and she knew she was loved. Thank you all for all of your help and ideas. I appreciate it so much. <3

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Unfortunately we lost Meriweather. But she hung on until I was holding her in front of the pellet stove. So I know she was happy and warm and she knew she was loved. Thank you all for all of your help and ideas. I appreciate it so much. <3
I am so sorry for your loss. I have a feeling that my hen will be next.
hit.gif
Remember she had a good life compared to less fortunate chickens. You gave her your best.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have a feeling that my hen will be next.
hit.gif
Remember she had a good life compared to less fortunate chickens. You gave her your best.

I am sorry about everyone's losses, it is hard to lose a pet. I just lost a pet of mine as well, and I am going through the did I do everything I could phase. from all your post I know you tried and I am sure both knew/know they were/are loved and passed/will pass as peacefully as they could/can. They did not go to a factory egg farm and had a better life then most chickens.

Back
Top Bottom