Hen is crowing is this correct behavior or is this a roo ? Plwase help me.

Brinsonflock

Hatching
Jun 5, 2020
Hello I am new to backyard flockin and I read up first but it is not real till you are in it. So my issue is that I got 6 chick from my local TSS first of April and I have raised these lady thinking they are all hens
But at about 12 weeks old now my ISA Brown is crowing. She does do it a lot mostly the three times I hear her was to get my attention out of the garden. Is my favorite girl a roo Or is just making noise if so why and how can I get her to stop? Are any of my other ladies rooster please help!

Attachments

• 20200605_165416.jpg
    20200605_165416.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200605_165451.jpg
    20200605_165451.jpg
    769.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200605_165444.jpg
    20200605_165444.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200605_165401.jpg
    20200605_165401.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 42
I can't see the red gray & white one, but the one that looks like a barred rock has awful light feathering & the comb is big for 12 weeks. If the ISA brown is the red sex link, I would think she is a hen. The one with red on the body with gray & white would make me suspicious, but you don't show the head. Red shoulders on ones like EEs mean roo. I would think a Barred Rock rooster. Are you sure the ISA brown is the one crowing?
Edited to add: I can see now the gray, white & rusty one in the 1st picture does have a very red comb, although not as big as the BR looking one. I would suspect 1 of those two being your crower.

I got 6 chick from my local TSS first of April
[...]
But at about 12 weeks old now my ISA Brown is crowing.

How old were the chicks when you got them? Did they have feathers yet?
Because you got them about 9 weeks ago.

The one with her front half brown and her tail white looks like an ISA brown pullet--is that the one crowing? (She's in the 2nd and 3rd photos.)

The others I'm not sure.

As aart said, bright red combs are a good indicator. (Eventually, the females will get bright red combs when they're ready to lay eggs--but there's a good stretch of time when males have red combs and females don't yet.)

The one with her front half brown and her tail white looks like an ISA brown pullet--is that the one crowing? (She's in the 2nd and 3rd photos.)

The others I'm not sure.

As aart said, bright red combs are a good indicator. (Eventually, the females will get bright red combs when they're ready to lay eggs--but there's a good stretch of time when males have red combs and females don't yet.)
W
I can't see the red gray & white one, but the one that looks like a barred rock has awful light feathering & the comb is big for 12 weeks. If the ISA brown is the red sex link, I would think she is a hen. The one with red on the body with gray & white would make me suspicious, but you don't show the head. Red shoulders on ones like EEs mean roo. I would think a Barred Rock rooster. Are you sure the ISA brown is the one crowing?
Edited to add: I can see now the gray, white & rusty one in the 1st picture does have a very red comb, although not as big as the BR looking one. I would suspect 1 of those two being your crower.
Hi cindy in Pa... yes sandwich is the one crowing the first time I heard it I thought it was one of the others the Isa Brown is my biggest one she walk right up to me and crowed I was like shut up because of the neighborhood.

Each chicken has so many colors I'm having trouble figuring out whether we're all talking about the same chicken.

Can you post a photo of the chicken that crowed, with no others in the picture?
Or draw a circle around the one that crowed?

The others I'm not sure.

NatJ thanks for help....When I got them the guy said they are about 1or 2 weeks old old they had lot of . I was not sure they had feathers that next week. Hard to get pictures of her along all of them come running up to my feet.

Attachments

• 20200605_185539.jpg
    20200605_185539.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200605_185426.jpg
    20200605_185426.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200605_185425.jpg
    20200605_185425.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 22
Him....red triple pea comb at 12 weeks...plus the crow.
Saddle and hackle feathers will be emerging soon.
Thanks Aart..... well not as many eggs as I thought I would get. I was tell I thought I had a roo or two in the flock but I guess I have more then I thought. Good thing that my daughter name Him sandwich.... I like him so much I dont want to get rid of him..... thanks everyone for help right now he only crows when iam in the garden and they are ready to come out of the chicken run.

Back
Top Bottom