Hen is full of water in crop , blue cone scary !!! what is this?

GranadosFamily

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
so i have been dealing with this very strange situation, Yesterday I noticed my hen was in a squat curled position and her cone was blueish very blueish and her beak as well! So we picked her up and my friend said " she is filled with water!! look at her crop" , so i picked her up, and I kid you not, the size of an apple or bigger filled all of water! He opened her beak and put her head down and squeezed all (or what we thought all water out)! it was like grayish in color! not smelly at all! anyways this keeps happening all day today it keeps filling up to that size! she also seems to have a bit of fluid were her eggs should be ??? poor chicken! I isolated her and giving her garlic water and hoping to get some advice because i just love this hen ! is it water belly ? or is it that she has a blocked crop that causes bacteria? were is all this water coming from? thx for your help!

so i have been dealing with this very strange situation, Yesterday I noticed my hen was in a squat curled position and her cone was blueish very blueish and her beak as well! So we picked her up and my friend said " she is filled with water!! look at her crop" , so i picked her up, and I kid you not, the size of an apple or bigger filled all of water! He opened her beak and put her head down and squeezed all (or what we thought all water out)! it was like grayish in color! not smelly at all! anyways this keeps happening all day today it keeps filling up to that size! she also seems to have a bit of fluid were her eggs should be ??? poor chicken! I isolated her and giving her garlic water and hoping to get some advice because i just love this hen ! is it water belly ? or is it that she has a blocked crop that causes bacteria? were is all this water coming from? thx for your help!
@Wyorp Rock

Has she been able to poop at all?

It's not uncommon for a hen that is having reproductive problems to also have crop symptoms.
If she has fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs that would be a symptom called Ascites. It would be hard to know the cause of the fluid unless a necropsy is performed, but a couple of common causes are organ dysfunction/failure and/or reproductive disorders like salpingitis, cancer, etc.

Depending on how she's doing, you may be able to drain some fluid from the abdomen to give her some short term relief. Antibiotics like Amoxicillin or one of the Tetracyclines can be used to help with inflammation and infection.

You would also want to treat the crop symptoms. This article should help https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do keep in mind that if a hen is suffering from reproductive issues or something is going wrong with their organs, these measures to treat symptoms are part of supportive care to hopefully help them feel better for a little while longer. Sadly, sometimes it's a short period of time, but it can also be several months too.
If you feel that she is suffering, then kindly put her out of her misery. It seems like favorites always are the first ones to start having difficulties.

Let us know how she is. If you have photos you wish to share they are always welcome.

:) thank you kindly, i inserted a 18 gage needle on her right side bottom as show in video and her liquid wasnt yellow it was black as per her feces, we put her down that night. all this information you gave me is so usefull thank you ver very much

I'm sorry about your hen.

It would have been interesting if you had done an informal necropsy, but that's not for everyone. Black fluid...hmmm, maybe liver failure, sometimes the fluid can be a dark green to black (bile) so...with her comb turning blue, she was in organ failure. I've seen it with reproductive cancer and what I would describe as organ failure.
Just a speculation on may part as to what you saw, but I've never had a hen recover when they were turning blue.

Back
Top Bottom