Akachicklil

Songster
Dec 6, 2021
South Florida.
Hello Everyone,

Ive gone over potential differentials and I’ve come down to one; bumblefoot. Main concern is change in activity, eating pattern, and poop change. Im not sure if anything else is going on or if this is just a result of bumble foot. Below I will try my best to provide a past and current history of present illness.

Dolly is a 1 1/2 year old silkie/araucana mix. She lives in South Florida with three other chickens who are doing excellent. For the most part she has been healthy. She normally lays an egg about 6 times a week. Dolly and her flock mates are dewormed twice a year. I use a broad spectrum dewormer (SafeGuard and Zimecterin Gold.) I used both last month (appropriate dose and frequency.) I used Zimecterin Gold because of the Praziquantel to treat tapeworm.

She has not laid an egg for about 1 1/2 or 2 weeks. I didn’t think much of it and thought perhaps it had to do with the significant heat wave here in South Florida and perhaps recent treatment for tapeworm.

Last Monday, 9/12/22 I noticed that she was not scratching or foraging as much. On Tuesday I noticed that she was sitting more than usual and would be on the side by herself. She had changed in her stool first a greenish white stool that was loose. Then I noticed that she had dirty butt as a result of the diarrhea. I have a picture of the poop from the middle of this week. I did an assessment of her and noticed that she had a small black scab on her right foot. So I started treatment for bumblefoot.

Treatment:
Epsom salt soak for 10 min
Bath clean and examine her vent
Clipped toe nails
Cleaned foot with Vetericyn Plus Poultry spray
Scab removed but not surgically just peeled off
Application of neosporin
Application of some prid drawing salve
Application of gauze
Finished with vet wrap

Today is day three of wrapping her up. She is drinking some water. She normally loves egg yolks and grubs. She has not wanted any of that which is super concerning. On day three or four I decided to hand feed and hydrate her. I have been feeding her very slowly and carefully with Exact hand feeding bird food by Kaytee. I have been giving her some water via syringe as well. I am using proper technique( slowly and allowing her to swallow on her own, not getting any in her trachea.)

I don’t trust that she is drinking enough on her own and I don’t want to take that risk. She is barely eating. I understand birds don’t eat much for a few days and prefer water when sick or injured. I have added some hydro hen from ProManna for the electrolytes and probiotics, mixed with a few drops of nutri-drench. I also gave her about a quarter of aspirin all mixed together.

She seems better and is walking a bit in her little confined area. However her poop has been extremely watery and not formed. It is very watery as if she just expelled clear water with a small speck of green poop. No solid stools. Not sure if this is because she isn’t eating. I ruled out that she is not egg bound because it’s been over 48 hours and I suspect that if she was egg bound she would of passed by now. I checked her vent ect and could not find an egg. The poop has me worried and I pray she doesn’t have yolk Peritonitis. I guess the only way for me to find out is to take her to the only vet in town that sees poultry and who charges an ARM and TWO legs. I have attached some pictures. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. If you all have any questions or need clairifcaifon let me know. Also let me know what you all think or suggest. I love chickens but if I knew that they were such a hassle to take care of when they got sick I would of reconsider. I say hassle because I’m not a vet and the vets charge an arm and a leg because there are very few of them around who treat poultry.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 1FCA9331-2874-4241-9723-FC40E283BCB9.jpeg
    1FCA9331-2874-4241-9723-FC40E283BCB9.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 13
  • FD505D52-92E3-4478-82A3-A826848CBD04.jpeg
    FD505D52-92E3-4478-82A3-A826848CBD04.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 65A3B693-DC66-4CBF-ADDF-6DD80BB2EE77.jpeg
    65A3B693-DC66-4CBF-ADDF-6DD80BB2EE77.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 5
  • FBB11FE2-2A2B-43CC-8C35-1134F57585E2.jpeg
    FBB11FE2-2A2B-43CC-8C35-1134F57585E2.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 5
  • C7CB9BB0-AABF-45F7-BBD7-2C482908BF58.jpeg
    C7CB9BB0-AABF-45F7-BBD7-2C482908BF58.jpeg
    653.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 218F2E06-0FD4-426F-AB67-1253316F78D1.jpeg
    218F2E06-0FD4-426F-AB67-1253316F78D1.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 9819E37E-514F-4514-ADC2-F197FD032E22.jpeg
    9819E37E-514F-4514-ADC2-F197FD032E22.jpeg
    621.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 7DB5BEEC-E6E1-4634-BC4B-6E1F28F514BB.jpeg
    7DB5BEEC-E6E1-4634-BC4B-6E1F28F514BB.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 5FC9CC6D-0DBA-48CF-9B5E-7DCF249E8D63.jpeg
    5FC9CC6D-0DBA-48CF-9B5E-7DCF249E8D63.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 5
Sorry for your poor girl. It sounds like you.are very conscientious. As you live in Fl you can get antibiotics from tractor supply. I don't think they will hurt. I've seen hens bounce back from all sorts of things. As you are learning, keeping chickens will turn you into a poultry vet. It's all a learning opportunity. Keep her isolated so she doesn't have to pretend to be well around the flock. Plus hens can be mean to sick flock members. It's nature's way. I can't think of much you are not doing. Good luck.

For the most part she has been healthy. She normally lays an egg about 6 times a week.

She had changed in her stool first a greenish white stool that was loose.

I ruled out that she is not egg bound because it’s been over 48 hours and I suspect that if she was egg bound she would of passed by now. I checked her vent ect and could not find an egg. The poop has me worried and I pray she doesn’t have yolk Peritonitis.
She's not laying eggs now?

Is she molting?

Sorry for your poor girl. It sounds like you.are very conscientious. As you live in Fl you can get antibiotics from tractor supply. I don't think they will hurt. I've seen hens bounce back from all sorts of things. As you are learning, keeping chickens will turn you into a poultry vet. It's all a learning opportunity. Keep her isolated so she doesn't have to pretend to be well around the flock. Plus hens can be mean to sick flock members. It's nature's way. I can't think of much you are not doing. Good luck.
Thank you.

Is she molting?
Not laying eggs now. Perhaps she is molting. Honestly it’s hard to tell. I have thought about that myself. My birds are about 1-2 years old. I’ve never seen them have obvious molts with chunks of missing hair. Sometimes I wonder if they molt very evenly. But she has had a few feathers fall off. So maybe she is molting too? Would that make her act a bit odd as well? I guess so right?

If she's molting, it might make her act a bit standoffish.
Look for pin feathers.
Some birds just go through a light molt and it's hardly noticeable. Others looks like poor pin cushions.

I do agree with you, her poop doesn't look very good.
I'd continue to keep her hydrated and eating. See how it goes.

If she's molting, it might make her act a bit standoffish.
Look for pin feathers.
Some birds just go through a light molt and it's hardly noticeable. Others looks like poor pin cushions.

I do agree with you, her poop doesn't look very good.
I'd continue to keep her hydrated and eating. See how it goes.
Thank you!

Is she molting
Hello Everyone,

Ive gone over potential differentials and I’ve come down to one; bumblefoot. Main concern is change in activity, eating pattern, and poop change. Im not sure if anything else is going on or if this is just a result of bumble foot. Below I will try my best to provide a past and current history of present illness.

Dolly is a 1 1/2 year old silkie/araucana mix. She lives in South Florida with three other chickens who are doing excellent. For the most part she has been healthy. She normally lays an egg about 6 times a week. Dolly and her flock mates are dewormed twice a year. I use a broad spectrum dewormer (SafeGuard and Zimecterin Gold.) I used both last month (appropriate dose and frequency.) I used Zimecterin Gold because of the Praziquantel to treat tapeworm.

She has not laid an egg for about 1 1/2 or 2 weeks. I didn’t think much of it and thought perhaps it had to do with the significant heat wave here in South Florida and perhaps recent treatment for tapeworm.

Last Monday, 9/12/22 I noticed that she was not scratching or foraging as much. On Tuesday I noticed that she was sitting more than usual and would be on the side by herself. She had changed in her stool first a greenish white stool that was loose. Then I noticed that she had dirty butt as a result of the diarrhea. I have a picture of the poop from the middle of this week. I did an assessment of her and noticed that she had a small black scab on her right foot. So I started treatment for bumblefoot.

Treatment:
Epsom salt soak for 10 min
Bath clean and examine her vent
Clipped toe nails
Cleaned foot with Vetericyn Plus Poultry spray
Scab removed but not surgically just peeled off
Application of neosporin
Application of some prid drawing salve
Application of gauze
Finished with vet wrap

Today is day three of wrapping her up. She is drinking some water. She normally loves egg yolks and grubs. She has not wanted any of that which is super concerning. On day three or four I decided to hand feed and hydrate her. I have been feeding her very slowly and carefully with Exact hand feeding bird food by Kaytee. I have been giving her some water via syringe as well. I am using proper technique( slowly and allowing her to swallow on her own, not getting any in her trachea.)

I don’t trust that she is drinking enough on her own and I don’t want to take that risk. She is barely eating. I understand birds don’t eat much for a few days and prefer water when sick or injured. I have added some hydro hen from ProManna for the electrolytes and probiotics, mixed with a few drops of nutri-drench. I also gave her about a quarter of aspirin all mixed together.

She seems better and is walking a bit in her little confined area. However her poop has been extremely watery and not formed. It is very watery as if she just expelled clear water with a small speck of green poop. No solid stools. Not sure if this is because she isn’t eating. I ruled out that she is not egg bound because it’s been over 48 hours and I suspect that if she was egg bound she would of passed by now. I checked her vent ect and could not find an egg. The poop has me worried and I pray she doesn’t have yolk Peritonitis. I guess the only way for me to find out is to take her to the only vet in town that sees poultry and who charges an ARM and TWO legs. I have attached some pictures. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. If you all have any questions or need clairifcaifon let me know. Also let me know what you all think or suggest. I love chickens but if I knew that they were such a hassle to take care of when they got sick I would of reconsider. I say hassle because I’m not a vet and the vets charge an arm and a leg because there are very few of them around who treat poultry.

Thanks!!
**** update*****
Dolly is back to normal. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom