Hen is laying down for Tom

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mrwoodboat, Mar 4, 2014.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    So we have had the Goulds hen for about 3 weeks and the Tom since Sat. Yesterday, I noticed the hen kept laying down for the tom but I never say him breed her. Being new to turks, I am unsure what to expect. Does this courtship go on for some time before she will begin to lay? For some reason I thought it was early for her to start laying. Should I take her eggs as she lays them (I was thinking I would put some chicken eggs in her nest in their place) to incubate or let her hatch them? They are both just under a year old now..

Regarding the RP/Nar mixed hen I have in the pen with the Goulds- I have her in to be a "dither" bird since it is doubtful that I will be able to find another Goulds hen here in SC. I have no desire for her offspring to be anything other than freezer campers if she even has any. I did want a second hen to help divert the Tom's attention as their run is only 12 x 24 with a 12 x 8 three sided shed on one end, I have left a 4' tall stump and a brush pile plus a couple bails of wheat straw here and there plus I have 2 air conditioner cases in there for the hens to go into if they wish...

thanks all for the advice and guidance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by