Hen is laying outside of coop?

farmerkylie

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 21, 2014
One of my hens (that we thought wasn't laying) is laying outside the coop. How can we get her to lay in the nesting boxes? We took the clutch she layer and put them in a nesting box and took most eggs away but left four so she would sit on them again (she's also broody on them).

Was this the right thing to do to get her to start laying her eggs in the actual coop where she and the eggs are safe?

Here are the eggs

I left 2 golf balls in each nesting box and my chickens caught on in a few days. All of my hens now lay in the boxes except Fidget. She is my barred rock. She lays in the coop now but refuses to use the box.

Are they free range?
How many birds how many nests?
Is she a new layer?
Is she low on the pecking order, maybe not 'allowed' to use a nest?
Is where she's laying more dark and private...your nests look rather open and maybe she doesn't like that?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

Are they free range?
Is she a new layer?
Is where she's laying more dark and private...your nests look rather open and maybe she doesn't like that?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

She's a new layer and yes they free range! She does lay in a darker more confined space yes and ours are somewhat open... How do I fix this? I'm going to try and leave them in the coop for a few days.

Are they free range?
Is she a new layer?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

4 nests and 6 hens. She is a bantam and they do kind of peck at her. I have another coop off to the side. Should I put her in that one by herself?

I wouldn't separate her, they are flock animals and like to be together.

There's always a low bird who gets pecked more than the others,
but as long as they are not bloodying her or pinning/trapping down,
and she's getting enough to eat and drink(multiple feed and water stations helps with this),
just let them figure it out.

I would put some 'roofs' on the nests so they are darker and more private.

Back
Top Bottom