Hen is Lethargic and Not Eating, Crop Issue or More Going On?

If you're implying if she is a danger as in spreading a sickness, I would say no. Because if one has it, they all have it. One may just be showing symptoms if they're stressed or have other things going on.
Basically all birds have Coccidiosis-they're carriers, but they won't always show signs because it hasn't become active. Which is usually caused by stress, like adding new chickens to the flock or moving them, things like that.
Thanks for the response. I have had her under a heat lamp and separated for three days now. She is now seeming fine, and I returned her to the coop. But now the other girls are pecking at her and she is hiding. It rough out there!

I returned my girl to the flock. Now one of them has been attacking her, and so she is staying away and hiding still. But she seems healthy now. Not vigorous, but healthy. I hope the rest of the flock comes to accept her return.

Hi Sadiefaith, I'm so sorry you have a sick hen. It is awful to see them not feeling well and not knowing how to help. Maybelle is about the same. Her comb is slightly more red than it was initially but she is still lethargic and keeps to herself. She is eating mash (pellets that I soak in warm water, she prefers it this way) as I do not think her crop is the issue. The whole coop is still getting Corid water so I'm hopeful I see a marked improvement tomorrow (day 3 of Corid).
I hope your girl gets to feeling better soon!

RooandherRooster, thank you for the advice! They do have access to oyster shell but perhaps I'll put a small section in her dish outside to make it more accessible while she's in the run during the day.
good evening to all
thank you for the response; this is such a great place to connect with others going through similar experiences. when we go through these times, it feels so scary and lonely at times so hearing from others is so appreciative. we are working to keep our girl, Nugget, hydrated and we think we MAY be turning a corner but not sure. she is not eating despite our attempts. we are going to try your idea of soaking her food and keep plugging away to keep her with us and on the road to recovery. thanks again for the reply and hope your flock gets and stays healthy.

Thanks for the response. I have had her under a heat lamp and separated for three days now. She is now seeming fine, and I returned her to the coop. But now the other girls are pecking at her and she is hiding. It rough out there!
I'm glad to hear that! Awe poor thing, that's always a hard part about isolation. One time, I had a girl who couldn't go back into either coop I had at the time, so she became our loner, and she loved it. She just free ranged all the time and then came back to her pen at nighttime. As long as they have plenty of room-and distraction-it'll make it easier I'm introducing her back in to the flock. A flock block, suet, treats (maybe you'll have luck with a swing) are all good.
Good luck to everyone and their girls!:hugs:fl

Ok, one more question - these bruises (?) on her comb, is that from being pecked by the others? They were not there until I returned her to the coop.
IMG_20200502_102239.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_095221.jpg
    IMG_20200502_095221.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 1
If you suspect egg binding, place the hand on a heating pad set too low and covered with a thin towel or blanket. Give the hen calcium supplements. the human calcium softgels work very well as they already have the vitamin d added, are readily available and the hens usually are willing to eat the filling from the pill. Cut it open and squeeze out the liquid into their beak. offer them soft food only such as scrambled eggs, applesauce, bananas, yogurt. Applesauce will help their crop to move if it is not moving on its own. So will the heating pad. keep them in the house away from the rest of the flock in isolation. The flock is stressing them and making it harder for them to get well.

Hi, I have a couple of birds showing the same symptoms described here. How are the birds that have been on Corid doing? If I can get to the feed store today I’m planning on starting mine on the same treatment.

Hi, I have a couple of birds showing the same symptoms described here. How are the birds that have been on Corid doing? If I can get to the feed store today I’m planning on starting mine on the same treatment.
Sorry for the delayed response, my girl is completely back to normal after a full course of Corid. I used the highest dose (2 tsp per gallon) daily and by day 4 she was nearly normal (eagerly following the flock as the free range and eating selectively) and about a week after starting Corid she was completely back to normal. Hope you're also seeing good results with your hen!

Back
Top Bottom