Hen is lethargic, droopy and pale comb, tail down, dirty bum

Mar 10, 2018
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 1 year old hybrid hen I think a leghorn. My smallest hen but normally big personality and one of the bossiest in the flock. She is definitely lighter and thinner than normal.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She stopped laying on christmas eve and moulted. I've been assuming she will pick up any day now but when doing my weekly health checks I noticed she had a bit of poop stuck around her back end. I immediately moved her to a seperate shed in a cage to keep her safe. She has been puffing up her feathers and just standing for a few days but she has been drinking and when the corn/meal worms/grapes come out she has been going after them. I've been giving Verm-x for the past week or so but she doesn't seem any better. I can't feel an egg in her abdomen, I have no idea how full or empty her crop is though when she stands up fully without puffing she does have what looks like a tennis ball sized lump under her throat. She hasn't walked much today and I've brought her home-My hens live on my allotment. She is unsteady on her feet and they tend to curl up which I think is due to her huddling up to keep warm, once I unfurl her toes she walks along a few steps
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? It's hard to tell as she had a moult but possibly up to 2 weeks though I suspect it's more likely only been 1 week. We had very cold weather thanks to 'the Beast from the East' which brought temps down to -8°C through the night last week
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, I do have one who has a swollen and reddish pìnk looking back end though it's not around her vent just under her tail but it looks like she has been pulling feathers out. That one is still laying though her egg shells are a lot paler than normal.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nope, none
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I think the extreme cold weather may have triggered or excerbated whatever this is. I had to shut my hens in their coop while ot was very cold overnight so maybe some squabbling went on in the night. I only did this for 2 nights in a row
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I dont know if she has been eating the layers pellets but she has had grapes, mixed corn, fresh corn, meal worms, spinach, kale. Im giving her a water and lucozade mix now to give her some elctrolytes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Her poo is a bit loose, mainly pale green and white. And it stinks of rotten eggs at the moment
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Verm-x in grapes, lucozade/water mix
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? There are no vets near me that deal with avian problems/poultry so I need to fix it myself if I can
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Straw in the nest boxes, sawdust in the coop and recently put bark chippings on the run floor as the ground was so cold.

x

Her latest poop is yellow-grey

Attachments

• 1520696340159126696628.jpg
    1520696340159126696628.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 40
Ive read that VermX should only be used for 3 days. And mixed reviews on whether it really works. Are you sure there are worms in your flock? You need to feel her crop. Is it hard, mushy? Take away her food and water overnight and feel it in the morning to see if it is empty. Id give her scrambled egg, and her feed mixed to a mash with warm water. She's pooping, so that is good. Feel between her legs, on her belly, Is it swollen? Id also give her some NutriDrench straight into her beak to give her some energy. IM gonna do a quick search on why her toes are curling up. Sounds like vitamin deficiency...

I'm not sure if my flock has worms but thought it wouldn't hurt to give them it as a precaution.
If I'm honest I have no idea where exactly I'm feeling or what for. The bit that looks like a big lump isn't mushy or overly hard. Ive tried massaging it but that doesn't feel like it's doing anything and she just looks at me like I'm crazy!
When I feel her belly I cant feel anything like an egg, she has lost weight quite a lot though she has never been a very plump hen.
She's had a bit of scrambled egg but doesn't seem too fussed for it, same with meal worms unless I put them in her water/Lucozade mix and then she goes nuts for them.
I'll go get some NutriDrench

IM thinking riboflavin (b2 deficiency} or Mareks? Go look at Poultry vitamins, NutriDrench or Poultry Cell, Rooster Booster and choose the one with the most Riboflavin in it.

Back
Top Bottom