Hen is limping and smells bad.

Matilda Belle

Crowing
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I have a hen that started limping a few days ago and just today her vent smells badly. Here are some details.

1.5 years old
No respiratory symptoms
Poop is normal
Eating and drinking okay; but seldom
No mites or lice
Crop is normal
Laid an egg yesterday so not eggbound

I treated for worms just be safe. I’m also giving her vitamins and scrambled egg.

I have a hen that started limping a few days ago and just today her vent smells badly. Here are some details.

1.5 years old
No respiratory symptoms
Poop is normal
Eating and drinking okay; but seldom
No mites or lice
Crop is normal
Laid an egg yesterday so not eggbound

I treated for worms just be safe. I’m also giving her vitamins and scrambled egg.
You've taken the first correct steps to recovery in the right direction. :)
Hoping these peeps can help:
@LaFleche @Eggcessive

My hunch is that she injured it somehow but why the new smell?

I stupidly started blocking the nest boxes at night to stop my flocks habit of pooping in the boxes. Its very possible she may have injured herself trying to get in the nest box to lay an egg.

@Wyorp Rock?

Does she have any droppings stuck to her vent or does the vent look any different? What do you feed her? How does her crop feel—empty, full, puffy, doughy, or hard? When she limps, does she hold the leg up or put it down and put weight on it? Can she get around normally to eat and drink? Are the others trying to pick on her?

Does she have any droppings stuck to her vent or does the vent look any different? No

What do you feed her? Nutrena starter

How does her crop feel—empty, full, puffy, doughy, or hard?

When she limps, does she hold the leg up or put it down and put weight on it? She doesn’t put any weight on it. She doesn’t move around much.

Can she get around normally to eat and drink? I have the food and water right in front of her. She is inside my home in a tote.

Are the others trying to pick on her? She is separated from the flock for now.

I would try to keep her with her flock in the coop, but separated in a dog crate with food and water. It can be very hard to add a hen back to the flock after a long separation. They tend to pick on them if hone for more than a few days, and the temperature change in winter can be hard on them.

I would make sure that her crop is emprying overnight. It should be empty in early morning and gradually fill with food and water up during the day. If it is not empty when she wakes up at daylight, she might have a sour or impacted crop. Those can stink.

The leg may be injured, so that could take days to weeks to get better. I would look for any redness, swelling, green bruising, or sores on her injured leg. Look for a bumblefoot scab on her footpad, or any loose scales.

Back
Top Bottom