Hen is LOUD "yelling" all day long. Neighbors commenting. Anything I can do?

kristin07035

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
NJ
I have a Polish Tolbunt I hatched a year ago she is one if 8 in my suburban backyard flock. She is the most beautiful bird & sweet as anything loves to be held.
Well she YELLS all day long...that loud screetchy egg song type of yell...looooong balks... but all day morning to night. I can distract her for moments throwing out scratch but as soon as it's all gone she's at it again.
Well my neighbors (who are awesome & love the girls) are starting to "comment" ...
"Wow I never realized hens were so talkative"
Younger neighbor - "Ava" was really loud this morning (saturday). We had our windows open & she woke us up at 8am"
Is there anything I can do to permanently quiet her or is selling/giving her away my only option :(

Last edited:
I have a Polish Tolbunt I hatched a year ago she is one if 8 in my suburban backyard flock. She is the most beautiful bird & sweet as anything loves to be held.
Well she YELLS all day long...that loud screetchy egg song type of yell...looooong balks... but all day morning to night. I can distract her for moments throwing out scratch but as soon as it's all gone she's at it again.
Well my neighbors (who are awesome & love the girls) are starting to "comment" ...
"Wow I never realized hens were so talkative"
Younger neighbor - "Ava" was really loud this morning (saturday). We had our windows open & she woke us up at 8am"
Is there anything I can do to permanently quiet her or is selling/giving her away my only option
sad.png

Situations such as yours is what make me laugh when I read the regulations banning "loud crowing birds and roosters" in suburban poultry ordinances -- loud hens can put any rooster to shame, lol.
The bolded stood out to me - without meaning to, you have trained your hen to engage in negative behavior to receive a positive response from you - she yells, you throw food. Now, look at this from her perspective and ask yourself why you would ever stop yelling? Aside from begging for food, can you identify any other prompts to her outbursts? It might help to sit outside (out of sight of her) for a few hours and observe the sights and sounds in the surroundings that are happening right before she goes off. Identifying her prompts will be key in addressing the outbursts. For early morning issues such as what your neighbor mentioned about being woken up (we should all be so lucky as to be "woken up" at 8, lol, my day is long started at that point) you may want/need to consider not turning the flock out of the coop until a time you feel is reasonable for the noise to set in.

Also - with her breed in mind, how heavy is her headdress? She may be more reactive in general (and thus, more prone to loud outbursts) if it is such that it is impeding her vision and making her world more startling as everything "sneaks up" on her in comparison to how other birds can see the same surroundings and/or make it more difficult for her to track her flockmates (the "egg song" type of call is not really about laying an egg, it is more of a chicken game of Marco Polo which is why other birds join in the song)

Situations such as yours is what make me laugh when I read the regulations banning "loud crowing birds and roosters" in suburban poultry ordinances -
- loud hens can put any rooster to shame, lol.
Boy, that's for sure!

I've got a couple screamers...it seems to come and go, they'll do it for a few days/weeks then shut up...usually not all day long tho, just a few hours.

Situations such as yours is what make me laugh when I read the regulations banning "loud crowing birds and roosters" in suburban poultry ordinances -- loud hens can put any rooster to shame, lol.
The bolded stood out to me - without meaning to, you have trained your hen to engage in negative behavior to receive a positive response from you - she yells, you throw food.  Now, look at this from her perspective and ask yourself why you would ever stop yelling?  Aside from begging for food, can you identify any other prompts to her outbursts?  It might help to sit outside (out of sight of her) for a few hours and observe the sights and sounds in the surroundings that are happening right before she goes off.  Identifying her prompts will be key in addressing the outbursts.  For early morning issues such as what your neighbor mentioned about being woken up (we should all be so lucky as to be "woken up" at 8, lol, my day is long started at that point) you may want/need to consider not turning the flock out of the coop until a time you feel is reasonable for the noise to set in.

lol agree about the 8am time :)
But I NEVER throw the scratch when she yells know all about that learned behavior guess theses just no hope :(

Also - with her breed in mind, how heavy is her headdress?  She may be more reactive in general (and thus, more prone to loud outbursts) if it is such that it is impeding her vision and making her world more startling as everything "sneaks up" on her in comparison to how other birds can see the same surroundings and/or make it more difficult for her to track her flockmates (the "egg song" type of call is not really about laying an egg, it is more of a chicken game of Marco Polo which is why other birds join in the song)

Great idea! Her poof is huge :) i put it up in a baby hair tie elastic this evening maybe that will help we'll see :) THANKS!

Ol Grey Mare THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH for the vision possibility. It's only been a day & a half but WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
Pulled her pooff back with a hair tie and she's not yelling much at all anymore :)
Hope it lasts!

I have a Production Red that can put a rooster to shame for noise. It was getting out of hand because if she saw us out or though the window she wanted to free range. I took an afternoon to sit in a lawnchair outside the run (for another reason entirely, I was just observing the new chicks during their field trip to the garden) in sight of her, she finally gave up on demanding that I let her out and the noise has subsided.I think we underestimate the conditioned response.Just one afternoon she stopped associating the sight of us with freedom.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom