hen is missing her father's on her head

tatterbugs

Hatching
Feb 26, 2015
homer ny
Hello this is the second year of having hens so I'm still learning new things...last year I added 2 white leg horn roosters to my hens ....I have 30 hens ...that are black jersey. ..my 2 of my hens are bald on the head ..my roosters are not mean at all but for some reason my 2 roosters are breeding them 2 the most ...what do I do about this

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm afraid there isn't much you can do, short of either removing one of the roosters or keeping the hens separate for a few weeks while they recover. Keep an eye on their heads and also their backs, under their wings, for signs of feather loss.

Is there any thing I could do about my rooster who has swollen.wattles. ..I was going to mention that in my first post ..he had it once before so I put a vent in my coop it help for a long time his wattles went down no he has it again ..he seems fine eating and drinking

I think I need to find helmets for my two hens lol lol their poor little heads are bald I'm thinking maybe I should separate thembut right now I don't have an extra pen or place to put them

Your two roosters ganging up on two hens could be the end of them. Maybe the other hens are aggressive and drive the roosters off. Chicken aprons will do nothing to protect their heads. If you can't find any pen or place to protect them divide one of your pens or runs. This is critical. Overbreeding can seriously damage or even kill hens.

Do you hatch eggs or sell fertile hatching eggs? If not, you don't need roosters at all. Hens will continue to lay (non fertile) eggs and be happier and healthier without rooster abuse. If you have any crates you could put the roosters in there for awhile - to cool their heels.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Unfortunately, even if you have a lot of hens, roosters tend to pick favorites and overbreed them. You may want to isolate the roosters for a while to give the hens some time to grow feathers back in. Otherwise, the feather loss will just get worse. For most of the year, I keep all of my roosters separate from the hens, in a special rooster-only pen. In winter, I put certain roosters in with groups of hens to breed. When breeding season is over, the roosters go back together, away from the hens. This keeps feather loss to a minimum. I get the fertile eggs I want in the spring, but my hens live happily and rooster-free for the rest of the year.

Back
Top Bottom